Parts of some web pages do not show

Discussion in 'Windows' started by BlackHumour, Apr 16, 2010.

1. BlackHumour

BlackHumour

Hi
    I've searched and searched but not found this question, let alone answer.
    I have an AcerOne D250. When I access certain web-pages (http://www.qantas.com and http://www.bluewin.ch for example), certain links and data entry fields do not show. The links are still there but there's no text or data field border.

For instance on http://www.bluewin.ch the link to email is invisible, but if I move the cursor to its typical spot, the cursor activates and a description is provided. If I click it, it takes me to the right page, but then the username and password fields are not visible.

Worse is when I try to make a seat selection on qantas, I can tell what seats are occupied or not. In fact, I can't see any images of seats.

I've tried to modify every setting that I (a complete amateur) can think of or find, but to no avail. Any ideas out there, or is this a mechanical problem with the Acer?

Thanks a mil

Peter

BlackHumour, Apr 16, 2010
  2. BlackHumour

Swarvey Moderator

Has this always happened since you had the netbook? or is it only just recently starting to become a problem?

Do you use Internet Explorer? or Firefox?

I'd suggest dumping your temporary internet files if you haven't already done so. You may also want to try hooking up to an external LCD and see if it's merely the screen resolution of the D250 preventing the page from showing correctly.

Swarvey, Apr 16, 2010
  3. BlackHumour

BlackHumour

It's been happening intermittently since I bought it ... and I kept thinking it was some setting that I needed to adjust. So yesterday, I went through everything but to no avail.

But as incontrovertible evidence that there is a Murphy's Law, it's displaying the bluewin site perfectly normally this morning ... but for how long? Perhaps the icelandic ash has reached me and is helping ;)

In answer to your questions:

- I use IE.
    - I had thought of connecting to an external monitor, but my home computer is the monster HP Pavilion HDX luggable.
    - if it reoccurs, whch it will, I'll dump the temp files and see if there's an improvement.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

PS: I should be on a flight to Australia, but it looks like that might take another week, if the latest ash cloud forecasts are any guide. That's why I had so much time to devote to the screen resolution issue yesterday.

BlackHumour, Apr 17, 2010
  4. BlackHumour

Jimux

It is almost certainly an issue with the browser, probably as a result of a minor up-version. Sometimes these issues can be resolved by pressing the refresh page button. If so then as swarvey says get rid of your temporary files.
    I would also suggest you install firefox. it is a much better browser and you can have both installed without conflict.

Jimux, Apr 17, 2010
  5. BlackHumour

BlackHumour

You're absolutely right about it being the browser ... because I have now discovered that it's not actually intermittent ... it's user-dependant. It's a problem when I use IE after logging into windows as me, but not a problem if I log in using my wife's user.

Clearly it's time ... time that I moved to Firefox.

6. BlackHumour

BlackHumour

Now that's really weird.

I installed Firefox and told it NOT to import any settings from IE. But the problem remains. If I use my wife's Windows user account with IE, alles ist gut, but if I use my own user account with Firefox, I still don't see some hypertexts and some data-entry fields.

That would suggest that it's neither hardware nor browser, but something specifically related to User Accounts. So naturally, I've just set up a 3rd User Account. It works fine with IE. :roll:

I think I need to go lie down now .... :arrow:

7. BlackHumour

Jimux

If that was a linux machine I would say that you have lost membership of a user group. I assume Windows has something similar in the user profile options.

Jimux, Apr 19, 2010
  8. BlackHumour

BlackHumour

Eh? lost membership of a user group? and I thought that we lived in a classless society ;)

It's an XP machine ... and we know that Windows is a well-stratified world ... so I'll do some caving in the User Profile. I now have even more time, because my flights to Oz have been changed 3 times and still counting ... courtesy of Icelandic dust.

BlackHumour, Apr 19, 2010
Ask a Question