Partition Table

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Arctic_Eddie, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I posted this request in Software/XP/System Recovery but getting only a few readers and no answers. Let me try here please.

I destroyed the partition table on my A150-1447(160GB, 1GB, XP). Nothing else has been altered. I can see the 64 byte block of data is empty using a hex editor on a bootable Bart's PE disk.

Could someone please look at sector zero of the hard drive physical disk and give me the hex characters starting at offset 0x01be(446 dec) with a length of 0x0040(64 dec)? This block of data is the partition table. It also has to be from the same model LT in terms of disk size and OS.

I contacted Acer but they say this request is beyond the scope of their support policy.

Thanks

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 27, 2009
  2. Arctic_Eddie

jackluo923

How did you "destory" your partition table?

jackluo923, Apr 28, 2009
  3. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I had a 16GB USB stick plugged into the Acer and had booted from an Xubuntu live CD. I was using the partition editor to change the stick FAT32 partition to those appropriate for Linux. In a drop down menu it shows both the internal 160GB drive and the 16GB stick defaulting to the 160. I was talking to my wife when all this was going on and I deleted the partition table on the wrong drive because I hadn't switched to the 16. The partition program should have kept a copy of the old table to Undo. Unfortunately, the button was greyed out so no Undo. This makes the drive unbootable with no partitions assigned. The data is all there but the table is empty. If I could see a listing of the table on another Acer of the same model series, 160/1/XP, then I could type it in using a hex editor on a Linux disk.

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 28, 2009
  4. Arctic_Eddie

aliraja

Firstly do you still have the hidden service partition intact and untouched.

Second do u have install any windows OS like XP or Vista.

aliraja, Apr 30, 2009
  5. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Yes, none of the data in the partitions has been altered. Only the 32 bytes of data for the two primary partitions is missing. Because of that it will not boot because it doesn't know where anything is located. The MBR is also intact. If I just had those 32 bytes it could be fixed with a hex editor on a Linux boot CD.

Arctic_Eddie, May 3, 2009
  6. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

It's the 160GB/1GB/XP version. The partition data must be from that model.

7. Arctic_Eddie

aliraja

Try this.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/64293596/Ac ... r.zip.html

aliraja, May 3, 2009
  8. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Thanks for the info but it won't solve the problem. The data is for a larger model Acer which wouldn't match. The big problem is that the MBR binary file stops at the end of the boot section and doesn't contain any partition data.

I'll have access to an Acer of the same model but not for two weeks. Was hoping to fix mine earlier.

9. Arctic_Eddie

aliraja

Bro I have the same problem with my ACER AOA150 XP home when i install Vista dual boot and after a few weeks remove it. You should try this file.

aliraja, May 3, 2009
  10. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I looked within the BIN file with a hex editor but it's only the MBR and does not include the partition table. Since the table is the only thing missing I hesitate executing anything that might alter what I already have. I want to avoid having to start all over with a virgin system. I already have the restore disk set to do that but it's only for last resort. I'll have a D150 here on Tuesday but will wait until the following Tuesday when I have access to an A150 like mine. It's only the 32 bytes that's missing. Anyone with the same model and a hex editor could read the data.

Thanks for the info though.

Ask a Question