Partition Table

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Arctic_Eddie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I've done something really stupid. This morning I was getting a 16GB USB stick ready to have Xubuntu 9.04 installed while attempting to carry on a conversation with my wife. Well, you guessed it, I ended up wiping out the partition table of the hard drive. The undo function in Gpart was greyed out so no backtracking. I also tried to restore a partition image made with Bart PE last month but the backup drive failed while trying to read the image file. My recovery CD from Acer hasn't arrived yet. The printer also died from bad ink but that's another story.

Can someone please send me the partition table for an A150-1447 Acer Aspire One. This is a 160GB drive, 1GB RAM, and XP. The ideal fix would be to get an image of the first two sectors of the HD using the DD command in Linux. This would also fix the MBR. I hate to start over from scratch as the drive has numerous customized astronomy programs installed.

Thanks for your consideration.

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 26, 2009
  2. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Using a Hex editor to view the first two sectors of the physical drive would also work. Nothing has changed on the drive other than the partition table. I could recover the system if I had just that info.

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 27, 2009
  3. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Further info.
    The partition table starts at offset 446 decimal and runs for 64 bytes in sector zero. If someone could give me the hex data for this block I can fix it. Here's the link to the structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

Arctic_Eddie, Apr 27, 2009
Ask a Question