Parallels works....when it shouldn't

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by pablo101, Dec 27, 2008.

1. pablo101

pink

Not the processor, let's assume that's the same, but what about cache, I/O bus controllers, MSI & AAO
    come from different makers? And what about the third party hack that OSX86 really is, sitting between
    the hardware and the user software (VMWare or Parallels)? Is it identical in both cases?

Errrm, is that a bug or a feature? ;)

pink, Jan 12, 2009
  2. pablo101

DBCohen

Umm, yes, Pink. I agree with you completely. Hence why, at the beginning of the thread, I told Pablo that his assertion that Fusion 2 requires hardware virtualisation (not available on the N270 Atom in the AAO or MSI Wind) was wrong. Do try and keep up.

It's all about the kicks with you, isn't it? :roll:

DBCohen, Jan 12, 2009
  3. pablo101

pablo101

I have already done all that previously to get it 1.1.2 working.... Though if it isn't the processor...then why would the install specifically state that it can't install as there is no hardware virtualisation. Which is specifically vt-x which is not on the intel atom processor? :S

pablo101, Jan 13, 2009
  4. pablo101

DBCohen

Well, because I have demonstrated unequivocal evidence that it works on that processor! The error message, and your theory as to the causes of the problems you are having, is not correct. It is better to work the problem and figure out the real reason your AAO can't run Fusion 2, rather than just write it off to some apparently relevant part of the hardware spec that can't be changed and declaring it impossible. That might be the route to an easy life, and you might be happy with Fusion 1.x, but you are doing the community no favours by saying that is the only way it HAS to be.

Look, as I said to Pink, if you have some sort of faith-based conviction in what you think is going on inside the processor, so strong that you can blithely ignore evidence to the contrary, that's your business. However, when you start putting those beliefs around as facts to other users that is a problem, IMHO. I hope my arguments in this thread are enough to dissuade other users from feeling they have to stick with Fusion 1.x, which is outmoded, slower performing and less featured than version 2.

DBCohen, Jan 13, 2009
  5. pablo101

DBCohen

DBCohen, Jan 13, 2009
  6. pablo101

chuckcalo

I did bother to read the whole thread but it turned out to be so many different opinions so this question goes to pablo101:

Did VMware work and is it running OK ? (as if I had dual boot with Windows).
    Can I install my recovery windows installation in VMWare ?

Thanks in advance.

chuckcalo, Jan 13, 2009
  7. pablo101

DBCohen

Chuckcalo, just go to VMWare website, download the free trial, and try it. No substitute for experience.

David.

DBCohen, Jan 13, 2009
  8. pablo101

pablo101

My VmWare is running perfectly yep. I have no idea if you can do that. I don't think you can just import another windows installation. Think you got to start from scratch. But i have no idea.

Also as DBCohen says i recommend what he says. Please report back as im guessing the free trial they will let you download shall be 2.0.1 and it shall be very interesting to see if it installs and runs for you!!

Thanks

pablo101, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question