Page Scrolls Up/Down When moving Mouse Left/Right

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steveK, Oct 5, 2008.

1. steveK

steveK

Somebody please help with this crazy problem! I cant imagine why anybody would want their mouse to do this,and it is seriously slowing me down.

steveK, Oct 5, 2008
  2. steveK

dattaway

I hate this latest generation of trackpads too. For 10 years I was fine and now there are "mouse gestures" as a valuable feature to bomb my desktop with unexpected actions.

I'm using Linux and I just changed the xorg mouse driver to an old driver. It doesn't have the ability to have a mind of its own and try to scroll my screen to instant madness.

dattaway, Oct 5, 2008
  3. steveK

steveK

Thanks dattaway ,at least I dont feel so alone on this now. I am using XP though. Is there a driver anybody can recommend for XP which will be more normal? I now have synaptics touchpad v7.2,at least thats what it says in my settings. I downloaded the newer V11.2 version which is a zipfile,so I opened it,but it is still showing the old version in my settings. I dont know if the newer version is any better in regards to the problem I am having though.

steveK, Oct 5, 2008
  4. steveK

nmesisca

I am finding it quite difficult to adjust to the trackpad and the weird mouse buttons, but if the gestures are whats bothering you, you can disable them from the Synaptics interface.
    Dont have the AA1 with me at the moment, so I cant be more precise as to where the setting is atm.
    Hope this helps,
    N

nmesisca, Oct 8, 2008
  5. steveK

steveK

thanks nmesisca,the problem is though that I do like to be able to scroll down by bringing the cursor to the side of the page when I want to,since it saves me from going way over to the scroll bar and clicking on it . Its only when I am trying to move the cursor right to left and the page just moves abruptly that it drives me nuts.

steveK, Oct 9, 2008
  6. steveK

steveK

I have just realized I am having the same problems while using an external mouse,so it isnt about the way I am using the trackpad. Hope this can help somebody figure out whats going on here.

steveK, Oct 9, 2008
  7. steveK

Jason G

Hi Steve,

It sounds like the driver's commands are wrongly lined up. Left-Right SCROLLING leads to Up-Down SCROLLING, or Left-Right MOVEMENT that leads to Up-Down MOVEMENT?

Eitherway, all I can suggest is looking for a way to update the driver or re-installing the OS if others agree... sorry.

My mum has a similar problem. When Shift+' is used, it comes out as ". Then, when Shift+2 is used it gives @!!! It seems some units have individual errors in the keyboard/mouse drivers.

Jason G, Oct 11, 2008
  8. steveK

steveK

"Left-Right MOVEMENT that leads to Up-Down MOVEMENT?"

Left-right movement of mouse leads to up down movement of page sometimes yes. However it is not all the time and sometimes I just click on the page ,and the page will be stable,so I can move the mouse where I want to . Yes I think I will try to reinstall the XP when I get a chance and I find the cd. I already tried upgrading the driver. I was able to download it into my files,but when I go to settings it is still showing the old version. I have taken it into where I bought it and the tech couldnt figure out what was going on,and said to call Acer. They told me to send it in,but I dont want to lose my One for about 10 days,since the problem is not so bad I cant work around it.Thanks for the tips though.

steveK, Oct 12, 2008
  9. steveK

Jason G

That's fine :)

It's good of Acer to offer to take it in and repair it - quite often you can't even get a number for a technical support line!!!

Good Luck

Jason G, Oct 12, 2008
  10. steveK

steveK

It was very easy to find the number on the Canada site. However Im not so happy about having to even be thinking of sending it in for service after only one month.I hate the idea of losing it for about 10 days since I use it way too much including for my ebay business. Im sure its been thought of before but maybe they should have an express repair service for relatively minor problems,which are very easy to fix.

steveK, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question