package manager - unable to retrieve software info

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tthew, Apr 4, 2009.

1. tthew

tthew

Hi,

Just bought my daughter an AA1, and I'm trying to find my around it just now. Using some of the other threads here so far I've managed to turn on advanced mode, and reset the administrator password, (brilliant!) but I've hit a problem trying to use the package manager, (Piruit?)

Well, the upshot is, it doesn't find a list of packages, the error message is in the subject up there. There is a suggestion that the network may not be available, but the Internet works, clicking the details button reveals,

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify path and try again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, in anticipation.

tthew, Apr 4, 2009
  2. tthew

Grim Squeaker

The location of the fedora repositories moved months ago. Acer Linpus however never bothered to update.

Issue the following command in a terminal to remedy this:
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    You may also wish to use the RPM fusion repositories:
    Code:
    sudo rpm -Uvh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url] [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    Note however that Acer Linpus is based on Fedora 8 - an outdated distribution that gets no more updates. Most new versions of programs will not be added to the fedora 8 repos - so keeping your system up to date will be getting harder and harder if you stick with Linpus.

Grim Squeaker, Apr 5, 2009
  3. tthew

tthew

Thanks for that, sorry about the slow acknowledgement I've been away for a few days. I'll let you know how I get on, but since I posted I've also discovered that I can't sign onto the MSN Messenger service, thought the account works fine on a internet hosted site. I think that the issues may be router related.

Bit of a pain all this!!

tthew, Apr 7, 2009
  4. tthew

HappyHarry

complain to acer about it, if more people did they might do something about it instead of trying to sweep the linux versions under the carpet, and be carefull about what you download from fedora 8 repos as though linpus is based on fedora 8 they made some major changes, and the acer version is worse still.

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 7, 2009
  5. tthew

tthew

Here's my report as promised then.
    No joy I'm afraid. Copied and pasted the first command into the terminal,pressed enter, (I'm explaining all this just in case I've missed a trick somehow) and the cursor moves to the next line, and eventually I get an error,

Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirror ... &arch=i386 error was
    [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (110, 'Connection timed out')>
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

Is this looking like a router fault to any of you, bearing in mind I can't get the messenger app to connect either?

tthew, Apr 7, 2009
  6. tthew

Grim Squeaker

It is indeed possible there is a problem with your router, especially if it has a built-in firewall...

Grim Squeaker, Apr 8, 2009
  7. tthew

solpuerto

Hi tthew

Open terminal - Alt+F2 - then Run then copy/paste the following;

sudo yum install fedora-release - then Enter

Not sure if there is any difference between using the word "install" as against "update" in a previous suggestion to you, but "install" is the one that worked for me.

Best wishes.

solpuerto, Apr 8, 2009
  8. tthew

tthew

Re: Port fowarding D-Link routers.

Sorted it!!

Just in case this may help anyone else, this one fix sorted both the Pirut and messenger app connection problems. Thanks to those of you that have helped me out with this one, and others on this forum who have helped solve similar problems, that's been a source of great help. My router is a D-Link DSL 504-T linked to a Motorola wireless access point. I proved the problem lay in the router by going to the meither in laws house, where it worked flawlessly with the BT Home Hub they have.

First of all I set a static IP address on the AAOne. Using this page http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
    I found the IP (or at least the common first three strings of numbers) the Subnet mask and default gateway addresses then found the primary and secondary DNS addresses on the browser driven D-Link setup utility, (see below for simple instructions). That took some serching, I eventually found it on the system log page, under the status tag. I did all this on a Windows computer as that's what I'm most familair with, but there is bound to be a way of finding all this on the AAOne.
    Now go to Settings, network centre on the AAOne. Disconnect from your WiFi connection then edit. Click on the TCP/IP tag, click on the Use the IP address as follows button and fill in all the details that you have recorded, but in the IP address use use a high number in the fourth group, (I used 20) as any computers using a dynamic, network supplied IP address will be using 2, 3, 4 etc. Click finish to save the changes.

Now you have to log on to the router config pages again, (you'll have to look in the instruction book for that, but for that D-Link open the brower and type http://192.168.1.1 in the address button, and type in your administrator name/password).
    First click on the advanced tab, and Lan Clients page, and type in the IP address you decided on above, all 4 strings of numbers. I didn't specify a Host Name, as there was none previously when the AAOne had a dynamic address. Click the apply button which will make this new IP address static.
    Now you have to go to the Port Fowarding page, and do the thing there. Make sure the IP address is correct in the drop-down box near the top of the page, and click on the User category button. Click the Add button which appears in this box which opens another page. Specify a rule name, make sure the TCP protocol is selected type 21 in all the port boxes and click the apply button. Now type 80 in the port boxes and apply again. Your 2 forwarded ports should now be listed below the data entry fields. Go back to the Port forwarding page.
    Now highlight your new rule in the User list and click the add button between the two boxes. Click the apply button.

Finally save all these changes by clicking tools, system commands, save all. Log out of the D-Link utility and restart the AAOne, this should hopefully sort out all your problems!!

Like I said, I hope this is use to someone else. Other D-Link routers probably won't be exactly the same, but may be similar enough that you can work out your own way of doing this. If no-one else ever looks at this, at least I can find instrucions of how to do it myself next time :roll:

tthew, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question