p2p-torrent traffic freezes the wifi on Ubuntu?!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kenzyh, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Kenzyh

Kenzyh

First of all, I have to apologize for setting up a new topic for this, since I already asked for mates with similar problems in the Installing Ubuntu-thread, but the post in such huge thread like that lost in the mass, so I thought that this would be the right way to gain more interest from people searching the forum.

So, I've set up Ubuntu on the AA1 (A110) and I've complied the madwifi-drivers as told in the install HOWTOs. The problem with those drivers is that when I start to download for example an Ubuntu image from a p2p-server with torrent, the wifi freezes up after about 15 seconds of downloading. I have a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router with DD-WRT v. 24 final in it, and the WIFI works perfectly with my wife's laptop with Vista, even with the torrents etc. So, the hardware in the Linksys isn't the problem. Well, I just tried to tap the hardware drivers back on, which were told to tap off in those HOWTOs, and quess what - the torrents work now, but not perfectly. I can now continously download over an hour ore even more, but sometimes the WIFI still freezes and nothing else helps but restarting the networking services. There must be more people suffering this problem, so please try to download an Ubuntu image and test how your systems stay up with the wifi. If so, we should report this problem forward.

Kenzyh, Aug 26, 2008
  2. Kenzyh

Kenzyh

Am I the only one who's having these issues with the wifi and torrent-traffic? I did a fresh install of Xubuntu last night, and the same problem still occurs. Please, confirm if you're not, or you're having these problems, or the problems will remain since no one will do anything about it, if people won't report it :/ I lose connections randomly after starting to download something bigger via torrent. Downloading packages sized ~100MB or less won't cause this problem, although I haven't noticed. Downloading bigger images, like Ubuntu DVD, will freeze the connection after 10 seconds --- 30 minutes. Network manager still says that the connection is made, but no byte will move before I restart the connection. I'm afraid that it's caused by a bug in the Network Manager, but I don't have enough time and skills to figure those things out.

Kenzyh, Sep 19, 2008
  3. Kenzyh

2manydjs

I have downloaded an ubuntu image two days ago using Ubuntu with the standard Transmission (download speed 1,5-2MB/s). It did slow my system down extremely, but the download continued. I assumed it was because of the slow write speed of the SSD. I did update Transmission to the latest build just to be sure, but I haven't tried since. (I have the samsung SSD, so the download was taking about 1/3 of the SSD bandwith).

2manydjs, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Kenzyh

Kenzyh

Yeah, well, In my case 800kB/s is enough to get the wifi down. I tried Xubuntu and Ubuntu, and the problem remained in both of them. Well, I "fixed" it by installing Win XP Pro, and now the wifi is working properly as well. I ordered an 1.8" hdd from China, so I think that I'm going for Windows now, as the Ubuntu seems to be not-fully-functional.

Kenzyh, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question