Overclocking zg5, not easy but works.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by mali, Jul 7, 2009.

1. mali

mali

EDIT: I've read in an other thread that someone fried his mainboard while trying to accomplish this MOD!
    This is an advanced MOD, so everyone not able to solder tiny stuff shouldn't attempt to do it! Use a magnifying glass and take the time to do it slowly. It's not worth to render you AAO useless for just a few MHz! Never put in the battery while soldering! If you mess up something try to reverse the fault before powering up!

I've got an A110(ex-Linux) with an SLG8SP513V PLL chip. Unfortunately it isn't overclockable with SetFSB, because it is hardware locked. EDIT: For ICS9LPRS365 it should be the same hardware MOD. The PLLs seem to be pin compatible. The settings in SetFSB are different, though.

To unlock it move resistor R124 to the solderpads for R122, that unlocks TME(it wasn't easy to find out, because the original datasheet doesn't mention it). http://www.silego.com/resources/pdf/xSL ... 242007.pdf

Download the newest SetFSB and select SLG8SP513V(Do not move the slider and try to set FSB, it will freeze your AA1!)
    Click Diagnosis
    Select register 14 and set bit 7 to 1(selects software overclocking).
    bit 6:2 select bus speed
    00001 default 133.3MHz
    01001 137.3MHz
    10001 140.0MHz
    11001 144.0MHz
    (166MHz will freeze, because the RAM timings will stay at default for 133MHz bus, I didn't try 100MHz, cause I want to OVERclock ;) )

You can also set register 1 bit 6 to 1, that will give a minimum additional increase in bus speed.
    My AA1 works at 1730MHz now :D

If you set register 12 to 20 you get access to more registers, I didn't try altering them, though.
    Take a look at http://www.silego.com/resources/pdf/xSL ... 232007.pdf for more info.

Have fun and post results if you like :)

Update!
    Works with SLG505YC264BT in SetFSB with full slider support :D
    Runs @1800MHz right now :)
    and another one
    2GHz confirmed!
    roughly 30% more fps in Morrowind when loading a certain Savegame with a relatively complex scene.
    When playing the fan runs all the time, I'll do some temperature torturing later.
    Btw. overclocking with GMAbooster makes no difference in fps, it seems to not work at all.
    Update
    Temps are looking good :)
    Did some gaming in windowed mode and watched AA1FanControl. @2GHz the temperature stays between 68C and69C with the fan running at medium speed while on battery(I won't test on AC, cause the voltage regulator will cause too much additional heat). Btw. I did a heat sink MOD a while ago. I've now ordered a 2mm copper sheet to create my own high performance heat sink, soon.
    Update
    10 minutes Stress CPU( http://files.aoaforums.com/I2377-stresscpu.exe.html ) doesn't go higher than 70C to 71C, medium fan speed @2GHz, no errors, no freeze. The system consumed around 14W(checked with Notebook BatteryInfo) while running the test.
    A pretty good performer, I would say :D

Update
    Better use slg505yc256bt in SetFSB.
    You can create a batch file with the following content in SetFSB's directory to make overclocking easier:

setfsb.exe -w01 -b -q -sXXX -cg[slg505yc256bt]

Replace XXX with your desired bus frequency(only three digits without 'MHz')

On my A110 169 is the highest stable frequency resulting in a CPU frequency of 2028MHz.

For resoldering it's easiest to glue the resistor to a needlepoint with cyanoacrylate adhesive(the gel version).
    I did some more tests to find a way to do a permanent MOD without having to use SetFSB but didn't succeed.
    A110 doesn't use CPU_BSEL for determining supported FSBs it seems. It could be implemented via software in the BIOS I suppose, so this resistor MOD plus SetFSB is the way of choice if you want to overclock.

Update
    Underclocking works, too. When running at 100MHz FSB (600MHz idle/1200MHz load)the temperature is extremely low. The fan won't turn on at all and the passive airflow through the holes in the case is enough to cool the heatsink down when surfing(I've set AA1FanControl to 60/65, the CPU is between 52 and 55 while doing light tasks). The power consumption is around 700mW less when at 100FSB/600CPU.

mali, Jul 7, 2009
  2. mali

jerryt

How were you able to figure this out?

What size tip can solder resistors that small?

jerryt, Jul 7, 2009
  3. mali

mali

I disassembled my AA0 and looked for the part number of the PLL.
    Then I put the part number in google and searched through the links.
    I found this excellent page: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthr ... ?p=5002684
    And started thinking. First I tried a hardware mod of FS_B after I had found the right datasheet but unfortunately it locked the multiplier to 6x at 166MHz bus.
    After that I started to search for datasheets of similar PLLs from the same manufacturer and compared register settings. The settings were about indentical with reserved registers in AA1's PLL and so I just tried to find the undocumented TME pin and finally succeeded :D

For soldering I just took my ordinary 40W iron, pulled out the tip furthest possible to lower the heat and grinded it fairly small and sharp. I took a needle to help get the resistor off the board and hold it in place on the other solder pads.
    If you try this, be carefull not to flip the resistor through the room when pressing too hard, you won't find it any more ;) In this case just use a spare part, I didn't measure the resistor but I guess it could be around 1k. It's just a pull up or in this case a pull down resistor, anyway.

mali, Jul 7, 2009
  4. mali

jerryt

WOW, awesome work. You are very talented.

jerryt, Jul 7, 2009
  5. mali

mali

6. mali

jerryt

Benchmarks increased from 875 to 1125 with your overclocking.

How does that show in daily use?

jerryt, Jul 8, 2009
  7. mali

mali

When surfing there is not much of a difference, because I already use EWF, Firefox 3.5 and the system is optimized. It makes a huge difference in games, though. Not so much because of some more frames per second, but because the lowest fps in heavy scenes are much higher now. In a certain scene in Morrowind when I load a savegame of Balmora I got 13fps before and now I get 17fps. It makes playing much more comfortable :)

mali, Jul 9, 2009
  8. mali

judeh101

OMG I wanna thank you sooo much!
    I will try this mod soon, I was DYING to wait for an overclock. (cause no one found a way to overclock yet) :lol:

judeh101, Jul 12, 2009
  9. mali

judeh101

OH NOSE!!!!
    I desoldered my resistor, and then, somehow the resistor snapped in half!
    I need to buy the right kind of resistor, can anyone tell me the "resistance value" for the resistor?

judeh101, Jul 12, 2009
  10. mali

mali

:lol:
    Shit happens ;)
    I've flipped R101 through the room while trying the bsel setting for 200MHz bus. I took a spare one from my broken Asus A600 PocketPC. Just try any 1k resistor you have lying around. It's even eventually possible that it works with no resistor at all. The resistor you removed was a pull high resistor. No resistor at all could result in no TME, too.

Edit:
    Some other MODs I did that complement overclocking nicely are adding a heatsink in the air channel of the AAO cooling assembly and cover the channel with adhesive aluminum foil(only covered the half of the channel which doesn't lie under the vent holes). And I've also cut out the round part of the case under the fan and put in a piece of a metal speaker grille from a broken ghetto blaster there. The heatsink is an old 4x86 cooler which I grinded down to fit. I put thermal paste in the middle and glue on the corners. The heatsink and covering it with aluminum foil makes cooling much more dense because of the added surface but also decreases airflow because of its resistance. Cutting the case increases the airflow back to normal levels. The cooling is very efficient. I've have to add that I have got a 6 cell battery that lifts the case a little and increases the space between the bottom and the hole. So I'f you have got a 3 cell get a 6 cell soon. Also the 3 cell is extremely inappropriate for the AAO because the relatively high discharge current for a low capacity battery lets the battery wear out much faster. My 3 cell had 18% wear after 2 months of use.

I did the grille MOD yesterday and will do some more tests at 2GHz and post the results here. So far I havent been able to push the temp higher than 65 degC with the CPU at 100% (AA1FC at 60/65).

mali, Jul 12, 2009
  11. mali

judeh101

I'm saved! I had a 1k resistor (those colour coded ones :p) lying around somewhere in my house. Now it overclocks!
    May I ask that you post a diagram for the BSEL mod? plz? :)
    btw, 200MHz BSEL Mod? don't cha have to overvolt?
    a few minutes later...
    BTW I've just noticed, the clock generator used on there is different than the one you've mentioned.

judeh101, Jul 12, 2009
  12. mali

Byte_wize

I managed to kill my mobo, because I forgot to remove the battery :/
    Good thing this is the world's most popular laptop, otherwhise it would be hard to get a new mobo.

Byte_wize, Jul 12, 2009
  13. mali

mali

Be careful not to short circuit something when using a large resistor, the space between the board and the case is very small ;) I've figured out the bsel stuff when reading the PLL datasheet. Then I stumbled across a russian aspire one forum when searching for a reason for the multiplier lock at 166MHz. It was not easy to read with google translator but I found a link to the datasheet of the board:
    http://vassyl.net/work/acerone/aspire0nemb.pdf
    There you can find all info about the PLL circuitry. I just tried in 200MHz mode but somehow knew that it wouldn't work because of the timings. The AAO locks the multiplier to 6x when you try to force an unsupported fsb so overvolting wouldn't have been necessary. Which PLL have you got on your mainboard?

One big step still to go now is to find a way to disable the 512MB onboard RAM and use a fast 2GB module in slot1. The 169MHz barrier is clearly caused by the RAM timings, because it's the same at a fixed 6x multiplier when in battery save mode. I've posted in the 2GB thread about it.

mali, Jul 12, 2009
  14. mali

mali

I'm sorry to hear that :(

mali, Jul 12, 2009
  15. mali

jerryt

jerryt, Jul 12, 2009
  16. mali

judeh101

I have the SLG8SP513V clock generator
    when you said to remove the battery, did you mean removing the motherboard battery?

judeh101, Jul 12, 2009
  17. mali

mali

That's the PLL that I have, too. The picture was posted by jerryt(thanks for posting it btw :) )
    No, I just meant the main battery. It's not necessary to remove the CMOS battery.

mali, Jul 12, 2009
  18. mali

judeh101

The funny thing is, why would anyone have their battery plugged in while they take the machine apart? :lol:
    In order to take the zg5 apart, you would need to take off the battery as well.
    lol, the resistor is soo small, and my overclock works great btw. 2.13GHz, and no crashes in Prime95 or orthos for 2 hours now.

judeh101, Jul 13, 2009
  19. mali

DutchDK

Any noticeable impact on battery time with the OC ?

DutchDK, Jul 13, 2009
  20. mali

mali

That's impressive :)
    Have you got RAM installed in the slot(if yes, which one?) or just the 512MB onboard RAM? I might take out my 1GB module and test if the FSB goes higher.

mali, Jul 13, 2009
Ask a Question