Over heating problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vinaya, Feb 13, 2016.

1. vinaya

Lisa Davis

I have a few older laptops that tend to overheat. It seems like my older Dells overheat the most. And, boy, do they get hot! The cooling mats help significantly. The fans in mine are still functional though, they just get really hot. I try to keep the area that gets hot free from any obstructions and give the machine a break now and then if I'm not using it.

Lisa Davis, May 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. vinaya

IBMPC8088

I'm surprised to hear that cooling mats have helped at all. Must be icy cold. :p The CoolerMaster ones and others purchased years and years ago hardly did anything for the old Gateway laptops (mine could reheat pizza! lol). I had to make the room chilly or do the box fan to get it to a colder temp usually, even with the system fan working on it.

IBMPC8088, May 14, 2016
  3. vinaya

psanch

I've faced huge problems with heating in the past as well. It got so bad that my laptop would overheat and then shut itself down. I ended up having to change the fan on mine at some point. I see a good list of new suggestions on this thread. Next time my laptop starts overheating will have to try one of these out. Also figured at some point that curling up in bed with a running laptop wasn't the best idea!

psanch, May 17, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. vinaya

Celia

The old laptop I had was a touchscreen with a fold-able monitor in order to turn it into a tablet style PC. It was HP and I loved that laptop, but it had a bad issue with overheating because the fan was in a bad spot, placed to the side. I found myself having to spend a little more than I really wanted to in order to have a nice cooling unit underneath it at all times. If the problem is not the location of the fan, as I have seen suggested already, your first step should be to make sure it doesn't just need a good cleaning to avoid spending unnecessary money. If that doesn't fix the problem, checking your programs and eliminating unnecessary ones to avoid over working the CPU would be my next approach. Then if you still have a problem, have the PC checked to see if something is wrong with the fan itself or other other units that may have an effect on the fan.

Celia, Jun 2, 2016
  5. vinaya

artyarson

Now I'm doing one trick. I turn my PC off every 2 hours for like 10 or 15 minutes. As a result, overheating gets me less and less. Sure, there's a "heating" part as the PC is still working for hours. However, the "over" part slowly goes away. And I like that!

Have you ever tried that?

artyarson, Jun 6, 2016
  6. vinaya

Allen1

1) Frеquеntly usе соmprеssеd аir tо blоw оut thе vеnts. Mаkе surе thаt yоu dоn't usе thе lаptоp оn surfасеs thаt blосk thе vеnts.
    2) Usе а сооling pаd with а fаn.
    3) Usе а tеmpеrаturе соntrоlling prоgrаm likе соrе Tеmp. This lеts yоu sее thе tеmpеrаturе аnd triggеr wаrnings. Nоtе: this оnly wоrks if yоu hаvе сеrtаin prосеssоrs.
    4) Lооk intо сPU slееp utilitiеs - thеsе сооl yоur systеm by pеriоdiсаlly sеnding pаusе соmmаnds tо yоur prосеssоr. It slоws yоur pеrfоrmаnсе, but thаt's bеttеr thаn сrаshing unеxpесtеdly. I dоn't hаvе аny rесоmmеndаtiоns - I usеd tо usе оnе twо lаptоps аgо whеn I hаd а systеm thаt usеd tо оvеrhеаt rеgulаrly.

Allen1, Sep 23, 2016
  7. vinaya

SirJoe

Very good list I would just add adjusting the energy management program to your needs. If you don't need that much power, put it to a lower setting it won't push your CPU as much.

SirJoe, Sep 23, 2016
  8. vinaya

Allen1

I am glad that my information will be helpful for you

Allen1, Sep 24, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
Ask a Question