Out-of-box Ubuntu (8.04.1) installation (REALLY EASY)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

Installing ubuntu (normal) can be real diffucult for aspire one..

..but here is really easy solution:

1. go to:

http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/

2. download it

3. Make a usb install or burn it to cd

3. run live

4. connect wifi or ethernet

5. install it (all languages work)

..and everything seems to work out-of-box

Only things what wont work is;wifi switch and wifi led and mic (i'm not sure about the mic)
    (but I'll survive without them)

boot time to login screen 40 seconds, login time 20 seconds

Battery run time; 2h 20min (internet surfing)

try it and post our experiences here.. :roll:

..have fun..

Guest, Oct 20, 2008
  2. Guest

daldred

daldred, Oct 20, 2008
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not sure was the other topic about ubuntu eee or eeebuntu..too different distros. but i've got almost everything to work with this one, and it is much better than Linpus.

Ubuntu 8.10 should be 100% working with aspire one

But this one is the best I've found for now

Guest, Oct 20, 2008
  4. Guest

jeffyeh

I just installed it yesterday, actually. Here's what I found:

What worked out of box: both SD card slots (originally wouldn't mount after suspend, see below), sound after boot, webcam, wireless.

What worked after tweaks applied form the Ubuntu community page: sound after suspend/resume (using model=toshiba in my alsa-base options), headphones turning off speakers when plugged in (again with the toshiba model option), USB mounting, card reader auto mount after suspend.

What still doesn't work: internal/external mic, wireless LED, wifi kill switch.

What I haven't tested: ethernet NIC, hibernate (I don't plan to test or use this option though), battery life.

I love netbook remix, but no mic is a killer for me in the long run. I'm hoping a kernel update or someone can come up with a fix for it. That said, this is much much MUCH better than linpus in terms of the applications available to install.

Finally, this morning at school I had a problem connecting to the university's wireless network. It wouldn't connect for about 15 minutes, and then all of a sudden was connected. I'll test this again later today and see if I have more problems with wireless.

jeffyeh, Oct 20, 2008
  5. Guest

lotus49

The ethernet NIC seems to works on all the distros I have tried (which is a depressingly large number) so that is unlikely to be a problem. Hibernate is almost as slow as shutting down and restarting so that's no great loss. However, no mic is a show stopper for me. One of the main reasons I bought my One was to carry it around with me and to be able to communicate with my family while I travel and I want to use Skype to do this.

The closest I have come so far is with Intrepid beta. There are some very simple tweaks to get wifi and card readers working but apart from that almost everything is supported. The only hardware that is not supported are the wifi kill switch and light. However, for me at least, neither suspend nor hibernate work.

I really wish that Acer had customised Ubuntu/Debian rather than Linspire. OTOH perhaps they would have made a mess of that. They seem to be better at hardware than software. I love my One, but I have been struggling with the OS for 6 weeks and I have been a hardcore Linux devotee since kernel 0.26 (which was a looooong time ago). I must have installed Linux on 20-30 computers at least and my One is the first machine I have had real problems with in all that time - very disappointing.

lotus49, Oct 20, 2008
  6. Guest

Andysan

Has anyone got Wireless to work from the Live disk please? It's the only thing i've found that doesn't work that i can't do without. I'm on tenterhooks as to whether to install this or to wait for an Intrepid release customized for the One.

Are fellow users installing his with a swap partition? I've heard that its a bad thing to do with SSD's but most users seem to be implementing them.

Andysan, Oct 20, 2008
  7. Guest

jeffyeh

Wireless worked out of box for me. I'm thinking that my connection problems earlier this morning were just because of the room I was in, or some quirky thing like that because I haven't had problems since. Wireless also worked during LiveUSB for me. I believe that I do have a swap partition (8GB SSD). I think Linpus came with one, and I just left it as is and used the one they had for my Ubuntu install.

Definitely keep an eye out for onelinux, though don't put your hopes in it. It seems like it's progressing (albeit very VERY slowly), and I do plan on trying that when it comes out.

No mic is definitely going to be a problem, but I'm so busy with classes lately that I haven't had time to skype (I really shouldn't be messing with this either, but I've always loved to. It's a terrible habit). The custom "N270 optimized kernel" post (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5517) claims to have mic and sound working (though no internal speakers post resume from suspend), which I'm going to go ahead and test after I post this. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick question on Intrepid beta: does Netbook Remix work on it? Or must you do the workaround/hack posted in the Ubuntu Community Doc (installing eeebuntu, upgrading, all that good stuff)?

jeffyeh, Oct 20, 2008
  8. Guest

Andysan

To elaborate further on the wireless problem, i can see a list of networks available to me, but when i try to connect to my home network it fails. No error message or anything, just tries to connect for ages and then throws me the password box again. Have no such problem in Mandriva 2009.

The Atheros driver is loaded, so i can't see what the problem is!?!?!? If anyone can offer any help here i would be most grateful

Andysan, Oct 20, 2008
  9. Guest

chadster

OneLinux works great! I have a copy of the latest release and everything works!

chadster, Oct 20, 2008
  10. Guest

jeffyeh

How long ago did you get it? I didn't manage to snatch up a copy of the .iso before he took it down a while ago, and there still isn't one up for general download as of now.

jeffyeh, Oct 21, 2008
  11. Guest

2manydjs

I have the 2200mAh battery and just tested how much life I could squeeze out of it. I'm using this Ubuntu-eee with Perry's customized kernel on the Samsung SSD. The test consisted of watching a webcam feed in firefox (scripted reload every 30 seconds) and Gmail notifier checking every 2 mins on the background. Networking was over Wifi and brightness was set to the bios default after pulling out the power cord. All power settings were set to never. The fan was controlled by Acerfand. The machine did an unclean shutdown after 2:18 hours. This is 40 minutes shorter than my XP test :(
    Code:
    Time   Perc. Indication
    00:00	100%	01:50
    00:30	80%	 01:30
    01:00	57%	 01:00
    01:30	32%	 00:30
    02:00	10%	 00:05
    02:18	0%	  ~

2manydjs, Oct 21, 2008
  12. Guest

chadster

I downloaded this last Friday.