OS X Sleep Bounty: $290/~£200 total

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by xtr.eme, May 8, 2009.

1. xtr.eme

xtr.eme

This is a bounty fund to get sleep to work in os x. The solution must allow the aao to sleep and work correctly. It must be found, tested and proven by the end of 2009 (as suggested by dirk)

Current donators:

xtr.eme $50
    dirk $100
    MasterJediAdam $50
    the108 $50
    brushless $50
    tieich $30
    harlley sathler $10
    Total: $330

Please add yourself to the list by posting a comment stating how much you pledge to donate.

Thanks,

xtr.eme

xtr.eme, May 8, 2009
  2. xtr.eme

templar

Re: Will sleep ever work in os x?

I agree and wanted to keep this thread alive. I had OS X on my One, but the lack of sleep was a show stopper. Owning a macbook also made it all the more obvious how important sleep is.

templar, May 10, 2009
  3. xtr.eme

brushless

My D150 reboots instantly when I click sleep. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 also on iDeneb which goes into sleep mode but wakes up to a blank screen :evil: . Is this sleep problem confined only to netbooks/notebooks? Does sleep work for OSX86 desktops? :shock:

brushless, May 10, 2009
  4. xtr.eme

NormalInk

This looks like it might have the potential to at least help with the sleep issue. My thinking is that hibernate might still work, so I'd like to try installing it and setting it to always hibernate. The problem is that I used the DoNotSleep installer from AAO_SbM_OSX_1056_Pack.zip when I first set up the computer, so it won't let me even manually tell the computer to sleep to test the hibernation. How can I remove what DoNotSleep installed, and can I do it in such a way that I won't be left worse than I started if it doesn't work? Thanks!

Wouldn't it be nice if this worked?

edit: It just occurred to me that a Time Machine backup might work for restoring my computer in case I really mess things up. Does a Time Machine backup go deep enough that it would even restore custom kexts?

NormalInk, May 11, 2009
  5. xtr.eme

sam.hackint0sh

Sleep is a issue originating from bad ACPI table in InsydeH20 BIOS emulation. You will most liekly need a complete fixed DSDT loaded with chameleon to get it work.

In case you want to test with kext, you can always boot with -s, mount your / with -us and go to the Extensions folder to remve the fail kext yourself after. If kext fail badly you most likely won't be able to get to GUI even.

sam.hackint0sh, May 11, 2009
  6. xtr.eme

ronime

The other day I was reading a blog entry by someone that was running OSx86 on an Intel D945GCLF2 (Atom 330 mini-itx mobo). Apparently, sleep works fine on this hardware...

ronime, May 11, 2009
  7. xtr.eme

rory

Sleep works fine on one of the other netbooks with almost identical hardware.
    Don't think much can be done.
    Sleep is one of those things in osx86 that plagues many devices.
    My desktop doesnt work with sleep btw to answer the earlier question.

rory, May 12, 2009
  8. xtr.eme

dirk

Are there any OSX developers in the community that could devote some time to resolving this?
    I would happily front some cash as a bounty, and I'm sure many others on this forum would add to it.

I'll offer up £50 UKP paid by paypal to the person supplying a confirmed solution that allows my own Aspire One A110Ab running iATKOS 5 OSX 10.5.6 to sleep and wake correctly. Anyone else care to add to the pot?

Get enough money together and someone will take the time to work out how to hack the bios or kext to get this working.

dirk, May 12, 2009
  9. xtr.eme

the803

Currently I am testing out different OS'es and I'm thinking of trying OS X next. This one feature is what makes me have second thoughts so I would happily pay up if someone can develop this to work.

the803, May 17, 2009
  10. xtr.eme

tieitsch

Maybe it's interesting that hibernate didn't work all the time under Linpus Linux either. No kernel panics but the Fan was still blowing and music etc. was still on.

tieitsch, May 17, 2009
  11. xtr.eme

MasterJediAdam

Will add $50 USD to the pot for a confirmed working sleep function.

MasterJediAdam, May 25, 2009
  12. xtr.eme

xtr.eme

I had better do the same as I started the thread, making it $150 USD Total

xtr.eme, May 30, 2009
  13. xtr.eme

the803

Can offer up to £30 too.`

the803, May 31, 2009
  14. xtr.eme

xtr.eme

That's almost exactly $50 atm.

$200 total then

xtr.eme, Jun 1, 2009
  15. xtr.eme

dirk

Nice to see that people are prepared to offer up a little cash for this :)

I fear though, that it will take so long for someone to deliver a solution that by the time it happens, we'll have been attracted off to the next shiny computer that comes along. I'm very interested in the new 10" unit, the thinner one, I think it's the D250.

Should it turn out that it's trivial to make the D250 sleep and make everything else work in OSX then I'd think I'd be buying one the next day!

As a result, I'd suggest putting a time frame on the offered bounty, I'm sure those that have offered funds would not like to receive an email in ten years time chasing them for some cash!

I'd suggest that if a solution is presented before the end of this year, then the bounty is payable. Later than that is too late. This is not a command, it's just a suggestion, what does everyone else think?

Oh, and my original offer was for 50 pounds UK, I see that the total is being counted in USD, which makes some sense anyway, so I'll convert my offer to dollars, and boost it if we all accept the time limitation, so if a solution is found, presented and proven before the end of 2009, I'll contribute 100 USD to the bounty.

That looks like $250 to me, anyone tempted yet?

dirk, Jun 4, 2009
  16. xtr.eme

ronime

ronime, Jun 4, 2009
  17. xtr.eme

dirk

Re: OS X Sleep Bounty: $250 total

Given that Snow Leopard is out in September, and that the finder has been rewritten its possible that there are sufficient changed under the hood that it will work perfectly when installed on the AAO. It's also possible that Apple have had quite enough of hackbooks thankyou and have make it very hard to get OSX to run on a non-macbook. We'll see when it's out.

Either way, it's worth mentioning that the issue of sleep on the AAO is related to 10.5.x only and if sleep works fine with 10.6.x that dont mean somone gets paid!

dirk, Jun 11, 2009
  18. xtr.eme

DopyG

If sleep will work in 10.6.x then Mac made the solution for u :d

I think that you should send the 250 $ to Mac at that time :D
    Or supporting them by buying an Ipod or Iphone atleast :p

DopyG, Jun 11, 2009
  19. xtr.eme

dirk

Heh :)
    I already own a mac mini, two ipods, two iphones; planning on geting the 3GS when it's out and I'm looking at a 24" iMac. I think I'm covered for now :D

dirk, Jun 11, 2009
  20. xtr.eme

brushless

I'll chip in US$50.00 by PayPal for a working OSX sleep solution for the AAO D150 ... :? :mrgreen:

brushless, Jun 27, 2009
Ask a Question