OS X Change Resolution with no hacking drivers

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Aug 14, 2008.

1. rory

rory

Well its more of a quick fix, with a bunch of errors. Rather than outputting a different resolution it scales the display, but its basically the same thing...
    Ok, open up terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)
    Type exactly this, the capitals are important I think. Wouldn't work for me without them
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor X
    But replace x with a number. Any will work I think???
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.8 EXAMPLE
    But you want something around 0.8 to make it smaller, and more things fit onscreen, but not too small.
    to reset it, type
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1 and press enter
    None of the changes will be shown until you quit properly and relaunch the window, so you can end up with some windows in one res and other windows with another res :D
    The best thing would be to check if it comes out with whole numbers for both, as 0.8 does I think, or ese you're going to end up with OS X trying to make half pixels and crap like that and itll waste loads of power and confuse itself.
    You can do it properly forever, but I wouldn't recommend it. I will update it when I find that guide in my cache.
    Enjoy the increased resolution :p
    Rory

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  2. rory

rory

Oh yeah, errors include buttons not displaying properly on this here forum sometimes, the icons on the top bar arent resized while the bar iself is, making a weirdish look. A few others...

Plus:
    DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, IT MAY LEAD TO REINSTALLS OR SCREWED DISPLAYS, NOT MY FAULT. IT HAS HOWEVER WRKED PERFECTLY FOR ME. I WOULD RECOMMEND ONLY FOING IT WHEN YOU HAVE BUTTONS THAT ARE BELOW THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN, OR A WINDOW TOO BIG FOR THE SCREEN, AND NOT AS A PERMANENT THING.
    Rory

rory, Aug 14, 2008
  3. rory

SbM

Nice trick, rory, well done ;)

SbM, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question