Opening an additional Firefox browser tab

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by MrMars, Sep 14, 2009.

1. MrMars

MrMars

I posted the following on the Mozilla Forum but have not gotten a response....I run the latest version of Firefox.

I recently bought a Acer Aspire One Netbook. I've found that unlike on my desktop pc I cannot open a new tab while holding the control key and clicking a link. It just takes the current open page to the new link. Anyone know why this is or an alternate procedure for opening as new tab while keeping the others open. I've added the "new tab" button to my browser but I like the convenience of opening a new tab while holding the control key down.

Thanks,
    MrMars

MrMars, Sep 14, 2009
  2. MrMars

HappyH

Ctrl + T works for me. Good luck.
    HH.

HappyH, Sep 14, 2009
  3. MrMars

ecmasonjr

How are your tabs set up in the options? My AspireOne with Firefox opens the link in a new tab when I click a link while holding the Ctrl key, so it's got to be a setting in your Firefox installation.

ecmasonjr, Sep 14, 2009
  4. MrMars

MrMars

top 3 options are checked in the tabs options. On my desktop when I go to my bookmarks I can hold the control key and click on a bookmark and it will open in a new tab. Its not working the same on my netbook. :cry:

MrMars, Sep 15, 2009
  5. MrMars

wozofoz

Doesn't it also depend on the website ? I find different things happen at different sites.
    Try this test

If I go to This Page here at AspireOneUser and only Click on the link MoveMe in my post (#3) then the new page appears in the same Tab.
    If I use Ctrl+Click then the new page opens in a new Tab but I am not taken directly to that Tab.

If I go to This Page at Brighthand (another forum I am a member of) and only Click on a link in my post then the new page opens in a new Tab and I am taken directly to that new Tab.
    If I use Ctrl+Click then the new page opens in a new Tab but I am not taken directly to that Tab.

My method of posting the link is exactly the same for both websites, but:
    AspireOneUser is Powered by phpBB
    Brighthand is Powered by vBulletin
    I always assumed that different websites had different coding and so behaved in different manners and there was nothing I could do about it except remember which did what :roll:

The top 4 options are checked in the tabs options on my Acer Aspire One netbook but I tested with just the top 3 and the results were the same:
    When I go to my bookmarks I can hold the control key and click on a bookmark and it will open in a new tab.
    I don't know why your Acer Aspire One and FireFox is different, sorry

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Sep 15, 2009
  6. MrMars

MrMars

I believe I figured it out. I was using an extension called "personal menu's". It doesn't work when accessing bookmarks through the extension but does work when accessing bookmarks from the menu bar. Thanks for looking into it.

MrMars, Sep 15, 2009
Ask a Question