Open Office need UK dictionary and grammar checker

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ianc66, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ianc66

ianc66

As delivered my system has Open Office 2.3.
    I've been successful in adding much software, but I really want a UK dictionary. And also a grammar checker, there is one on the Open Office proofing tools site but this get you into a maze of updating OO or Java. An ideas anyone?

ianc66, Dec 23, 2008
  2. ianc66

markh

I have oo3, so yours may vary, but try tools/options/language settings/languages/default languages for documents, and see if there's a UK english option in the dropdown - mine has US or UK options already available without downloading anything else. If not, try tools/language/more dictionaries online.

markh, Dec 23, 2008
  3. ianc66

Richard

In the OOo23 menu, choose "File -> Wizards -> Install new dictionaries"
    Hope this helps. (you must be connected to internet for this to work.)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

To install a new dictionary in Vanilla OpenOffice.org 2.x, call "File -> Wizards -> Install new dictionaries" in OpenOffice.org. Then exit and re-start OpenOffice.org, including the Quickstarter (if used). Most of the files on this page are available for installation via the wizard. If not, download the Pack file, and use the "off-line language installation" option of DicOOo wizard.

Richard, Dec 25, 2008
Ask a Question