Oohh ... Aahh... I finally get to see the One!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rjm, Aug 8, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

'bout time too. The XP-only release in Japan meanst no Linux releases earlier last month, we had to wait until now before they even made an appearance.

Goes on sale on the 23th August, but - yay! - they had one on display at last!

Quick comments:

1. The Japanese XP version (1GB RAM/120GBHDD/3cell) has a fatter case. On the left hand side the underside of the case is sticking out 2-3mm more than the right hand side. Its a bit lopsided really, but that's apparently what they had to do to make the hard drive fit. I'm pretty sure the Linux version doesnt do that, but I admit its hard to tell from the photos.

2. On looks its hands down an Eee killer. The blue is especially nice, not sparkly, but iridiscent.

3. I see a little better now the controversy on build quality. I think its fair to say it does a really good job at hiding its inherant cheapness. On the one hand, it's not a Thinkpad. The keyboard does have a little flex, and the plastic on the bezel seems thin. On the other hand it's darned elegant, generally speaking it has a very nice feel, especially the hinges, nothing feels flimsy or looks poorly put together. My verdict: for what it is you'd be hard pressed to expect more. On fairness the 901 is just as nicely built, if not a little nicer.

4. The Japanese keyboard is a little different than the photos I've seen of he English version. The Enter key is double height! The downside is the right shift is moved down and to the left. Overall though its nice and easy to type on. Way way way (way) better than the 901 ...

5. The trackpad works fine, while the wide buttons are a bit frustrating at least you can do a left click by double tapping the pad rather than a button press. This means the only time you really have to deal with the buttons is click+move to drag something, or right click menus. Still, the 901 with multi touch is way ahead of the game here.

rjm, Aug 8, 2008
  2. rjm

Raido

I think you just summed it up pretty nicely there. Though this is essentially a basic cheap netbook, in general it doesn't have a cheapo feel to it.

..Apart from only being able to buy it with XP and no Linux version, that is. Hikes the price way up too, while getting (imho) not the full Netbook experience (light, cheap & simplified). Honto ni, hidoi wa..! :|

Raido, Aug 8, 2008
Ask a Question