Only turns on with adapter plugged in.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by WillSpengler, Feb 9, 2009.

1. WillSpengler

WillSpengler

Hi guys.

Hope someone can help.

I have had my acer aspire one for about 4-5 months but it hasn't been used a great deal during that period.

For some reason it will only turn on when the adapter is plugged in. It says the battery is at 100%. And if I unplug the adapter it dies instantly (not the slightest hint of power coming from the battery).

Anyone know what could be causing this?

I e-mailed Acer and they are saying to send it back to get fixed. But they also say if it's a software issue i'll get hit with a ~£70 charge.

Just wanting to know if this thing is common? Does it seem like a hardware fault? Is there anything I can check? Is there any setting I could have changed which caused the battery to no longer be used by the AA1?

It's the model with the 8Gb SS harddrive and linux based OS.

Cheers

- Will

WillSpengler, Feb 9, 2009
  2. WillSpengler

Rufus The Dog

Hi Will

I have had this exact same problem started today. The only thing I have done recently is upgrade software for my E220 3G dongle other wise nothing. I have noticed thought that there is no hint of warmth from the battery which might suggest it is not actually being charged

Rufus

Rufus The Dog, Feb 9, 2009
  3. WillSpengler

ekianjo

it probably means your battery is dead...

You should try with a friend's battery to confirm if you can but that is the usual symptom with laptops which battery dies...

ekianjo, Feb 9, 2009
  4. WillSpengler

Rufus The Dog

Interesting... I removed the battery and re-inserted it. I am sure the symbol in the tool bar has changed from one showing a 'US' type mains plug only to one with a battery symbol as well and I now have a battery charge percentage of 80% after powering on for less than an hour. Considering that it was mains powered this morning for over 3 hours and switched off the moment I removed the mains power it looks like the battery was not charging for some reason

Rufus

Rufus The Dog, Feb 9, 2009
  5. WillSpengler

WillSpengler

I hope it isn't the battery being dead.

Usually there would have at least been a small time period where it stayed on after having unplugged the laptop.

Not to mention this thing has only been fully charged 3-4 times tops !

WillSpengler, Feb 9, 2009
  6. WillSpengler

pajamabama

I've got this exact same issue. I really hope that there's a fix for this. it doesnt seem like the battery is dead because it dies instantly when unplugged. Just like yanking the cord on a desktop. Just like there was no battery at all. Not to mention that i've only had this thing for ~2 months now. kpowersave says battery is 100%, which it should be, it's been plugged in for days. This is a pretty serious problem.

pajamabama, Feb 10, 2009
  7. WillSpengler

WillSpengler

One thing I noticed while having a look around on it yesterday.

When I go into Settings, and click System Information.

Under the Battery listing it says "Li-ion 0 mAh"

Which to me sounds like something has gone tits up with the battery?

Does anyone know if there is a way to format these back to "factory" standard, just so i can rule out software issues?

WillSpengler, Feb 10, 2009
  8. WillSpengler

walex

Hi. I've got EXACTLY the same problem as Will, with battery shown as being 100% charged, but then computer switching off immediately when not the AC convertes is not plugged in. I don't know how to reset the battery to it can be "recognized" by the system again. Do any of you know? Have any of you tried inserting another battery to see whether the battery is actually dead, with the status software actually lying? I appreciate all your comments. Thanks.

walex, Feb 11, 2009
  9. WillSpengler

WillSpengler

I haven't tried that, don't have another battery.

Don't fancy buying one either right now!

WillSpengler, Feb 12, 2009
  10. WillSpengler

pajamabama

This seems to have resolved itself after running a full system update (in the 'Settings' screen). After updating, I shut down and left it plugged in overnight. I noticed the next morning that the battery LED was showing green (it had been showing orange).

Hope this helps some of you.

:) :)

pajamabama, Feb 14, 2009
  11. WillSpengler

espian8

Anyone know how this fix might be applies to an aspire one running xp? thanks in advance

espian8, Feb 22, 2009
  12. WillSpengler

Ranger Wolf

although not much help, i had the exact same problem, and let my techy bro have it for 5 mins. he fixed it somehow >.>

Ranger Wolf, Feb 23, 2009
Ask a Question