Only Black Screen And Mouse Cursor

Discussion in 'Linux' started by iamfox, Apr 16, 2009.

1. iamfox

iamfox

Hi folks!

Yesterday i had big trouble with my AAO 110L.
    I got Linpus Linux Lite on it and everything was fine.
    As a Linux newbie i just began to learn that system better and installed programs, changed background etc.

But yesterday when my grilfriend logged off (she forgot to end Internet explorer, which ran with wine to make flatcast possible)
    the system never boot to the main desktop.
    I mean the screen to select bios appeared, the blue screen with aspire picture appeared, but the main desktop with WORK, CONNECT,etc. did not boot.
    It stopped just at the black screen before and only the mousecursor appeared.
    I could move the mouse cursor, but couldn't reache the Terminal nor get Alt+F2 to work. Any of the hotkeys didn't work either, except the brighter and darker function.
    It seemed to me that the system had a problem to load the desktop manager.
    I also tried to boot from a live-CD, Knoppix. It worked but i didn't know how to fix that problem via knoppix.

Then i read the forum posts and choosed to make a recovery dvd, which i downloaded and burnt on a dvd.
    After booting and recovering the system via usb-DVD drive, everything was fine again, but of course all my saved files were gone.

So, does anybody know something about that?
    Linpus Linux seems not to be very stable, i think.
    And is there a way to fix that problem without recovering the system? I mean, how can i get the desktop manager back, when this appears again?

thx for any advice,
    iamfox

iamfox, Apr 16, 2009
  2. iamfox

stevennp

Same thing happened to me. I managed to put Ubuntu onto a USB stick using Unetbootin. Booted from it on the acer one and used the partition editor which comes with Ubuntu (under the administration menu). Once partition editor loaded I ran a disk check on the Linpus partition and hey presto, I rebooted took the USB stick out and it worked again

stevennp, Apr 16, 2009
  3. iamfox

iamfox

Hi,

good to know this.
    I'll try this too, when it happens again.

I also made a copy of the xorg.conf file (/etc/X11), since i read that this could also be part of the problem.
    It seems to me that this is more a software problem in linpus, caused by installing an changing things.

Forgot to say:
    When i recovered with the recovery dvd i used version 1.0.15.e of the os-system.
    Before i had v1.0.3 i think.

iamfox, Apr 17, 2009
  4. iamfox

d90yqv

Exactly the same problem here. Utter disaster, because I have files I must have currently on my system. Seriously p!ssed off with Linux right now.

Can someone walk me through the process to make a USB boot disc - and not one that means I have to do a complete wipe of the hard drive (I've had to do a full system restore before, so know how that works)! I just need to get these files, and then I'll do a full restore.

d90yqv, Apr 18, 2009
  5. iamfox

iamfox

I'm not familar with usb booting, but there are how to guides in this forum, where you can find a solution.

Just need another linux and a bootable media.(external usb-drive, or usb-stick)
    saving those files would be easy then.

which system version do you have now?
    i have the recovery version 1.0.15e and no problems so far.

iamfox, Apr 18, 2009
  6. iamfox

Bata

I have the same black screen but I havent done anything yet. Could anyone please explain how to save my files? I have not found it in this Forum so far.

thanks

Bata, Apr 19, 2009
  7. iamfox

iamfox

first of all, you need a possibility to boot from an external drive, like
    an external cd/dvd drive or
    an usb-stick or
    an external usb-cardreader.

i tried to boot from an external drive and from an usb-cardreader, both with success.

then you have to look for a live distribution like knoppix or damn small linux or other distros.

so, which of the external devices do you have?

iamfox, Apr 20, 2009
  8. iamfox

d90yqv

I have a USB stick. So I just need to find a small working version of Linux which I can put on that, then boot up from the USB, then offload files.

Sounds simple enough, but I think I just need help creating the bootable USB stick. Apologies that I"m not more technically minded.

d90yqv, Apr 20, 2009
  9. iamfox

Bata

thanks for replying my post

My case is the same. I have a USB Cruzer mini 1.0GB

Bata, Apr 20, 2009
  10. iamfox

iamfox

So, i tried and found a way how to backup single files from the AAO SSD:

You can find it here:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13588

iamfox, Apr 23, 2009