Only 8MB of Shared Video?!?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by MotoX, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MotoX

MotoX

Will we ever see a bios update that will let us bump this up to about 128 shared video? :( Or is it something that the hardware will not let that happen. Because since I now have 1.5 GB RAM, I can afford to lose some ram. I have been able to modify .ROM and .WPH bioses but this BIOS is a .FD manufactured by "InSyde". Any ideas?

Also my mom bought an AAO two weeks after I did and from day 1 out of the box it does not work right (and this time it WASN'T my fault! lol). It will not shutdown, it just gets in a reboot loop. So far I have restored XP and flashed the bios to 3114, 3301, and 3304.

MotoX, Oct 23, 2008
  2. MotoX

dirk

I'm not going to mention that the available video ram is a dynamic value, as mentioned on many other posts here, because you already know that; having used the search function before you posted a new thread.

What I am going to do is ask why you think you need more video ram in the first place. Assuming a 24bit display mode (even though the panel is actually 16bit), that would be three bytes per pixel. The screen resolution is 1024x600, which is 614,400 total pixels. To store that full display will therefore take 1,843,200 bytes, or less than two meg. So tell me, why do you need more than 8?

dirk, Oct 23, 2008
  3. MotoX

MotoX

I would like more video memory because I am a photo editor and if I would gladly trade a little bit of ram for photoshop and photopaint to work better.

MotoX, Oct 23, 2008
  4. MotoX

MotoX

OK I understand now. You are right, I did not search enough. Any ideas on my moms computer?

MotoX, Oct 23, 2008
  5. MotoX

Mopeto

Well, you have a warranty right? Use it. Return to the store.

Mopeto, Oct 23, 2008
  6. MotoX

MotoX

Yes but she ordered it online and they want to charge her shipping, and it can take up to 3 weeks for her to get it back. I tried going directly through acer and it is the same thing.

MotoX, Oct 23, 2008
  7. MotoX

chuckcalo

It will automatically increase its value to 128 MB when needed. For example you could be at the desktop using 8mb but when you load a game (I.E.: a n64 emulator) the aspire one will bump up the video ram to 128MB. It is not that it stays at 8MB nor there's a way to make it stay at 128MB.

chuckcalo, Nov 3, 2008
Ask a Question