One negative to say about Chromebox

Discussion in 'Chrome OS' started by cluckeyo, Sep 10, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

I really have enjoyed my Chromebox. I have it set up in my hobby room, which is a new room where I do lots of different things. I want this room to be as functional as it can be. I have a printer in there. A couple of days ago I wanted make a graduation card. My printer came with a great little desktop publishing software and it is free. I looked at the choices in the webstore and the one that came most recommended was LucidPress. It is not nearly as good as the one I use with my regular laptop. But I did get something put together and when I started to print it, they wanted $5.95 per month to print with good quality. That's pretty steep. Not to mention, I had to struggle to get the Chromebox to print to my printer. I have decided to move the Chromebox to the kitchen. It will be real handy in there for light duty. But I'm dedicating my main laptop to the hobby room. Because not only do I want to make cards, a will also want to work on web pages, and I really do like my editor software.

cluckeyo, Sep 10, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

rz3300

Well I am actually a little surprised at myself here, because I must be honest and say I have never heard of Chromebox. The reason why I am surprised, too, is that I use a Chromebook, Chrome is my browser, and I basically use Google everything at this point, so I shocked this one slipped by me. Looks like I need to go do a little research.

rz3300, Sep 10, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

remnant

I would recommend the ASUS Chromebox which brings the cloudbased world of Google Chrome OS into a compact little box if you don't mind purchasing your own peripherals like the keyboard and mouse. It brings the experience of better connectivity and more ports available for use. I should say that the 16GB of storage might turn off some users but Chromebox has an overly optimistic profile.

remnant, Sep 24, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

fcuco

This is going to be a common occurrence with web based applications, sadly. Probably for a few more years stand alone applications will continue to be more powerful that anything that the web has to offer. This is a little far fetched and probably more trouble that it is worth it but you could install linux alongside Chrome OS on your Chromebox and then run your publishing software using wine.

fcuco, Sep 26, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

Wow, a whole new can of worms!! I had no idea you could do that!! Taking notes. I suppose you can run any software on a Chromebox by doing this?? Really the only thing I don't like about Chromebox so far is no access to my programs! So if this worked, it would be great!!

cluckeyo, Oct 2, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

Hermitkrab

isn't Chromebox and Chromebook the same thing? I don't know why there are 2 names, but I believe they're interchangeable.

Hermitkrab, Aug 19, 2021
Ask a Question