Ok don’t laugh – need help with partitions and boot

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by 54patman, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 54patman

54patman

I am trying to get OSX install from a new ONE. I have the 120 gig version, so plenty of space.

Since it is factory settings, the first 6 gigs is the windows restore files. The next partition is the Windows XP. From windows I partition that drive into two, one at 60 gig and the other at 40 gig. This 40 gig is to hold OSX. I originally set it as a primary and active. Got the iATkOS v5 dvd and ran the installed as per the guides, formatting as indicated.

When the installer reboots it goes into windows and no option for OSX. So I read some guides and I tried the chain0 method, no luck because I get a “Chain booting error”.

No I am just stuck, no idea how to get the boot loader to choose which OS I want. I want to keep the restore files on the 6 gig partition and not move it, if possible. But, I really have no idea to get this problem fixed.

Any ideas?

54patman, Jan 8, 2009
  2. 54patman

rory

download easybcd, the go to the add entries tab and add an entry for osx86 generic ipc, click add then save
    R

rory, Jan 8, 2009
  3. 54patman

54patman

thanks for the reply.

this needs Vista boot loader. the tool says i need Vista on every screen, so i just abort.

any other ideas?

54patman, Jan 8, 2009
  4. 54patman

Chimera

Did you reset the XP partition back to Active after you added the chain0 file to c:\? I have done exactly what you did (recovery, xp and OSX partitions) and it worked flawlessly for me, I have the XP bootloader coming up by default with 2 entries (XP and OSX) and if I select OSX I get the Darwin bootloader with OSX selected as default - will change that to a smaller timeout or quiet boot later now that things are working.

Of course, it'll all change when I install Windows 7 today and I can use easyBCD to manage the Win7/Vista Bootloader.

Chimera, Jan 9, 2009
  5. 54patman

54patman

No, I did not set the XP partition back to Active. Because, I had no idea that it changed. Why would it have been change to not active?

I will try that, but I have already re-partitioned my drive so I have to start from the beginning again and this time I do not have the hidden recovery partition.

Thanks for the help guys.

54patman, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question