Office 2007

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rootytooty

rootytooty

I like many others I am trying to free up some space on my 8 gb harddrive. I got rid of Works and a few things I don't neeed. There is also Cyberlink and Inter video???? Or if I need them can I put them on my memory card???

Or am I better to use Open office portable on my memory card????

rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009
  2. rootytooty

rootytooty

And do I need the Microsoft Office assistant for any thing????

rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009
  3. rootytooty

melhiore

Do you really watching DVD that often on AA1??

No.

It's worth having some Office Suite installed on any PC. OOo is not taking that much space - I have this software installed on HDD but if you need more space on SSD - probably it's good idea to move it to SD card...

melhiore, Feb 28, 2009
  4. rootytooty

rootytooty

Do you think I can put my Office 2007 on my SSD. Take if off my harddrive and move it to my SSD????

rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009
  5. rootytooty

melhiore

Rather not. There is a billion of DLLs and other stuff copied to a lot of folders. I'm afraid you can not do anything like that. On top of everything Office is doing a lot of changes in Windows registry... I can tell you only that OpenOffice is perfect tool for use on netbook as is small, does not take to much resources and works fine with most of the Office documents. I use it and I have no problems - but that's my opinion only.

melhiore, Feb 28, 2009
  6. rootytooty

rootytooty

Thanks for the info. I might just take off my Ofice 2007 and put on Open Office on my SD card. I do all my work on my memory card anyway. I do still have about 2.5 gb on my machine which is fine I am sure. If I took off Office 97 I would probably have over 3 gb as it talkes about 340 mb of my HD.

By the way, I have been seeing a lot of Bolton football lately here in the states as I watch my Saturday and Sunday football on TV.

Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009
  7. rootytooty

jackluo923

Open office is small in a way that it's features are limited. A basic word,excel,powerpoint setup, the installation is smaller than open office (500mbish) yet it offers more features and better interface.

Also Office 2007 can easily be made portable and you can carry it on your SD card and use it anywhere you want. It's the same thing as portable apps, but much faster and better.

jackluo923, Feb 28, 2009
  8. rootytooty

rootytooty

Thanks. You say I can make Office 2007 portable--on my memory card???? My office 2007 the Office Standard version. I only use word, excel and Powe Point and email of course. Can I just uninstall from my harddrive and install on my memory card??? Its about 340 MB on my machine. But if you say open office is just over 500 it sounds bigger than Office 2007.

Any suggestions please???? Or maby I will leave it as it is. Is there a way to have it all on my HD and have my email go to my card instead of all those email folds that I have staying on the HD?????
    Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Feb 28, 2009
  9. rootytooty

Tamrac

I have Open Office on the SD card, and is running great. I don't miss MS Office at all. Open Office does most of what is needed to be done. For our AAO netbook, it's perfect. ;)

Tamrac, Mar 1, 2009
  10. rootytooty

jackluo923

You don't need to make your office 2007 portable if you're going to leave the SD in your laptop as a 2nd storage. TO install it on an SD card, just uninstall the office 2007 on your laptop and then reinstall it back, but direct the install directory to the SD card. Portable 2007 needs office 2007 enterprise with VLK thus it can work on any computer in the world with windows 2000 or newer.

jackluo923, Mar 1, 2009
  11. rootytooty

rootytooty

That is what I was planning to do and see how it worked. I have a 16 gb card that I keep in there. I was just a bit concerned when one of the folks mentioned all those dll files. I will give it a try.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Mar 1, 2009
  12. rootytooty

jackluo923

Those dll files gets stored in the install directory. If you set the install directory on your SD card, then those dlls will be on your SD Card. Only the registry files will be written to your SSD.

jackluo923, Mar 1, 2009
  13. rootytooty

rootytooty

Cool I am on it.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Mar 1, 2009
  14. rootytooty

scwinn

Here is a NEW suggestion. Try IBM Symphony. All of the benefits of Open Office and a touch more refinement. Runs off of my SD Card without problems

scwinn, Mar 10, 2009
  15. rootytooty

rootytooty

Thanks. I used an earlier suggestion. Office 2007 works just fine on my SD care. I uninstalled it from my harddrive and installed in on my Memory card and it works great.
    Thanks,
    Bobby

rootytooty, Mar 10, 2009
Ask a Question