now seems like a bad time to buy

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by vanitymustdie, Aug 28, 2008.

1. vanitymustdie

vanitymustdie

i really want a netbook. been seriously considering the acer aspire one after checking it out a couple of times at microcenter... but now just seems like the wrong time to buy one because, at least from my research and checking them out in person, there doesn't seem to be a KILLER affordable netbook out yet. all of them have their quirks and at least for me doesn't seem like something i want to deal with. here are my thoughts.

EEE Pc
    ---
    Ugly, all have crappy keyboards (except the 1000H ones that are not as affordable), look and feel cheap

MSI wind
    ---
    looks nice, sold out everywhere, new ones have a crappy touchpad

HP mini-note
    ---
    easily the best looking/feeling of the bunch (imo), awesome keyboard, but is expensive and has issues getting way too hot (supposedly -- though the one at the store felt very hot).

Acer Aspire One
    ---
    looks & feels nice
    all the versions that are out now have the sucky 3 cell battery (not acceptable, imo)
    not as easy as it should be to upgrade RAM
    linpus probably wouldn't be anyones (except maybe your parents/grandma) linux distro of choice if they had any other options with full support for the AA1
    windows version is slower at booting and uses more battery life.
    anyone who wants more than 2 hours battery life is going to spend $100 on a 6 cell battery (which they should have come with in the first place)
    should be more options for SSD sizes besides just the 8gb. pretty limited.
    160gb version w/6-cell isnt available anywhere yet.
    supposed issues with the 6 cell battery preventing you from opening the screen to an ideal viewing angle.

Dell Inspiron 910
    ---
    this one seems to be the wildcard. rumored to start at 299, with a 4 cell battery and ubuntu support (im an ubuntu fanboy) and a variety of SSD sizes. i'm not particularly a fan of dell but this one could be the killer netbook.

what are everyones thoughts?

vanitymustdie, Aug 28, 2008
  2. vanitymustdie

clevin

Lenovo S10

3 cell battery too, tho

clevin, Aug 28, 2008
  3. vanitymustdie

3earnhardt3

I was happy and willing to pay $379 for the AAO on august 1st. Now that I got the refund of $70 from CircuitCity though, I would consider purchasing the 6-cell battery even at $100+, and still be happy and content--not to mention the total would still be less than buying the Eee. My opinion is to buy whichever you think looks/feels the best to you and go for it, you won't regret it.

3earnhardt3, Aug 28, 2008
  4. vanitymustdie

atarione

your money and upto you.

I was loving my AAO for the $380 I paid for my A110 then I got $70~ + tax back on CCs price guarantee policy so it is now easily the happiest I've been w/ a electronic purchase in sometime.

for just over $310 I'll live w/ the 8GB storage and the 3cell battery. and in a year or so who knows maybe I'll grab me a next gen netbook and give this one to my g/f or whatever.

hopefully (crosses fingers) reasonably inexpensive aftermarket battery options should start showing up on ebay... I know there are a TON of eee batts on ebay for not too much.

atarione, Aug 29, 2008
  5. vanitymustdie

goofball

the version with 6 cell battery is out (at least in Canada, not sure where you are from).
    Screen angle, that's something I can't answer for you, it doesn't bother me or my sister.
    Yes, it will cost $100 to buy it separately but then you have a 3 cell and a 6 cell, very handy imo.

goofball, Aug 29, 2008
  6. vanitymustdie

judeh101

Make that $129.99. :lol:

judeh101, Aug 29, 2008
  7. vanitymustdie

format

I'm on the exact same wagon. I can't decide what to buy.

I prefer the AA1 (better keyb, better look) but no Bluetooth and lousy bat time.
    The retail 6 cell version would be that ugly thing I've seen floating around? I'll pass that.

I will buy today a version as clean and light and beautif as the AA1 with BT, a single SSD a bit more perform and a bit more spacey (12GB would satisfy me)a decent bat life and XP. Ah! And an Acer tag price.

Am I asking too much? I guess not. A simple version like this. How much more will I have to wait? COME ON!!!!

format, Aug 29, 2008
  8. vanitymustdie

goofball

my local supplier is showing me 108 + tax

goofball, Aug 29, 2008
  9. vanitymustdie

shuut

IMO AAO at $350 is 80 less than it's closest competitor (S10), even if I have to get the 6-cell battery, I still end up paying 50 less than I would pay for a wind or a eee. And I got an extra battery for backup.

I don't see bluetooth as a problem because a USB one is just 25 dollars, however I can't find a place to sell the 6cell battery that I want.

shuut, Aug 29, 2008
  10. vanitymustdie

Sid

Far from lousy.

Ugly, personally I like 6hrs :)

Add $8 BT and 8gb SD card, use Linux not XP (sad choice); What, you don't want a price lower than acer's? :)

No waiting, just add about $20 and ignore XP, then you have what you need NOW!

Sid, Aug 30, 2008
  11. vanitymustdie

tenashus1

At this moment, the Asus 1000H is the best out there, and nothing to sneeze at for sure. If you are able to get cash back all the better. I have to say, though, that I am intrigued by the portability of the Acer 1447. The Lenovo S10 looked good, but then it became a comedy when they took orders and got overwhelmed. I guess even mass production can have its limits. The folks at Lenovo dropped their pants. OOPS! :)

Just found a way to order the Lenovo: Go to their website, and search for computers under 3 lbs. When you find the S10 just pre order it. Problem with the S10 is the battery with the machine being the same cost as the Acer 1447 ( even a little more in fact). The 1447 seems like the clear winner here.

tenashus1, Aug 30, 2008
  12. vanitymustdie

clevin

im sure you can pick up a 6 cell batt off ebay for less than half of that price later. 10400mah battery for EEE is priced at $50 there.

clevin, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question