Notebook for boss?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by GearZ, Jul 13, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ

So my boss wants to replace his aging/ancient notebook PC. I am not up on the latest and greatest in the Windows notebook world as I've been using Macbooks for some years. What would you recommend for him that:

• Runs Windows 7, 64-bit.
    • Higher-end in terms of components (e.g., RAM, storage space, etc.).
    • A SSD drive would be preferable.
    • Preferably a built-in optical drive (e.g., Blu Ray, etc.).
    • Cost is not a huge concern, but not unlimited either.
    • Size is not as big a factor as performance.
    • Decent end-user support from the manufacturer.
    Thanks for any recommendations.

GearZ, Jul 13, 2016
  2. GearZ

turnb43

I'd recommend something with a sizeable SSD first and foremost, if its for corporate use I think you'll find Thinkpad's range to be quite suitable although in my experience it is rare to find laptops with a build in optical drive so that might be a bit troublesome.

turnb43, Jul 16, 2016
  3. GearZ

Corzhens

Normally the boss would be using the computer for communications so the most used software is the word processor and spreadsheet but the presentation software cannot be discounted. A 64-bit processor with standard RAM and 1 terabyte of storage (wouldn't matter if an SSD or HDD) would suffice, I guess. The OS would depend if it is Windows or Mac.

Corzhens, Jul 16, 2016
  4. GearZ

Fuzyon

I would look at an ultrabook from Dell, the XPS models are pretty good for business purposes and they have a lengthy battery life. You can upgrade it to 16 GB of RAM, add an SSD and go to town on it. One of my friends has the 4k screen XPS '15 and the battery lasts for 6 hours, considering the CPU is strong too.

Fuzyon, Jul 16, 2016
Ask a Question