Not sure how to proceed...

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Talos, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Talos

Talos

Now im by far no modder, but im looking to replace my aoa110 ssd for something bigger and faster in order to run a better os than that crappy linux.
    My options are to buy a new ssd to just swap out my crappy ssd, or attempt a mod to run something else.
    I dont want to case mod the whole thing, or use an hdd (theyre too loud and hot) so i guess a zif drive or just a new ssd are my only options (cf is too expensive) mind you, i dont actually know what a zif drive is >_>

Talos, Feb 24, 2009
  2. Talos

Dalton63841

What exactly do you have against linux? Or is it Linpus specifically. There are distros of Linux that are very user friendly and fast even on SSD.

Dalton63841, Feb 25, 2009
  3. Talos

Talos

linpus specifically, theres some pretty cool distros, but i cant understand linux so i stick to windows >_>
    plus i run ALOT of windows specific programs, im in school for software design but havent gotten very far yet

Talos, Feb 25, 2009
  4. Talos

Dalton63841

Ahh I see. Well if youre not familiar with opening up laptops, Id suggest downloading an n-Lited version of XP. Otherwise Id suggest a just going with a better SSD if you're not familiar with modding.

5. Talos

Dalton63841

By the way this is off subject, but Im about to start school for software design, is it extremely dificult?

6. Talos

GauntMan

Well to clearify certain things and perhaps make life a little easier:

Zif is a type of connector and it is used in your AAO110 to connect the SSD to the motherboard via a thin ribbon cable. So if you are going to buy a new SSD it will be a ZIF version. You refer to a "ZIF drive" and I think that you actualy mean the 1,8 inch ZIF HD´s that are for example used in the large iPods. The problem with these are that they are quite large compared to the SSD and some case modding are required to fit them. They are quite expensive compared to regular 2,5inch HD ´s and they are in fact HD´s. Some of them require a different twisted version of the ribboncable to attach. Your easiest approach to a faster drive with would be a Runcore ZIF SSD 16gb wich retails for abut $70. Other solutions requires either case modding or soldering on the motherboard or both.

Nope they are not. I´ve modded in a 2,5inch Samsung M5S 160Gb in my AAO110 and the only way I can tell is if I put my ear next to the keyboard. The stock wificard produces more heat than the HD and the drop i battery life was 10 minutes. BUT modding this into the AAO110 is not an easy project if you are not used to soldering small components fitted tight togehter.

GauntMan, Feb 25, 2009
Ask a Question