Not seeing RAM in slot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by KPetronis, Jan 8, 2009.

1. KPetronis

KPetronis

Hi guys,
    New to this site. Got my fiancee the One A110 (512MB RAM onboard, 512MB in slot)...Well, funny thing is - ever since I got this even with the stock RAM in, it only ever read 500MB of total memory in the BIOS and in Windows. I didn't think much of it at first because I was like "huh, well I'll add 1GB of RAM and figure this out later...Maybe there's a setting to change". Well - I've since added the 1GB of RAM and it still only says I have 500MB. So ummm...if the stock RAM never showed up...and this RAM doesn't show up...Ehhhhhh...was it a bad egg to begin with? Anyone else had this problem? I have the latest BIOS as well.
    Thanks

KPetronis, Jan 8, 2009
  2. KPetronis

melhiore

There are no extra settings in BIOS. RAM is detected automatically. If RAM stick is properly inserted there is no reason why system should not "see" this memory... All I can suggest is take it back before warranty will expire....

melhiore, Jan 8, 2009
  3. KPetronis

KPetronis

Yup - figured as much. Was just hoping against hope that someone had a genius idea.

KPetronis, Jan 9, 2009
  4. KPetronis

jackluo923

try checking if there's any dust on the RAM slot contacts or any broken ram contracts on the mobo

jackluo923, Jan 9, 2009
  5. KPetronis

mikerj

Which model did you buy, presumably it has the 16GB SSD?

mikerj, Jan 15, 2009
  6. KPetronis

janss

Laptops in general are very sensitive to the installation of RAM modules, and because of how the slot is build, modules can be installed in a way that they "seem to be there right" but actually the connectors are not all in the right place and the module does not work.

You can try to take the module out and put it in again very carefully. The module needs to be inserted in about 45 degrees angle, pushed in all the way and then folded down to the clips.

If that doesn't help, then it's warranty repair time...

janss, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question