Not a problem.. Did acer give me a free upgrade?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Kimixii, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Kimixii

Kimixii

Hey all, first off I got my new A1 last night and it ROCKS. No question about it the best thing ive ever bought. What I was wondering was is that I bought the 120 gig 3 cell version for 348 from Walmart, and when I got home Windows is showing 144 gigs total space, and plus the 15 gig hidden partion im looking at like 160 gigs.. Also the webcam quality is gorgeous, and i know the 160 gig version is a 1.3MP... Did I get a 160 gig A1 with a 3 cell battery or is this how they come now? Im loving this baby btw, seriously, I cant say how much compliments ive gotten at school today :D

Thanks
    Richard

Kimixii, Nov 7, 2008
  2. Kimixii

Tamrac

Congratulations... hehehe. Seems like they shipped you with the 160gb version. Either an oversite or they ran out of stock and figured to send you the 160gb anyways. :lol: All in all it's all good!

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
  3. Kimixii

Kimixii

Ha! Sweet! Yeah on the side of the box it shows all the 120gig specs, but I was surprised to see 144 gigs total when i booted her up :D The hidden partion sucks, but who knows it may come in handy some day so ill keep it... And is there any way i can tell if I have the webcam off the 160 gig A1?

Kimixii, Nov 7, 2008
  4. Kimixii

solman

the hidden partition is really only about 5gb (if my memory is correct). so you're looking at a total of 149gb, which is the 160gb model.

does the battery stick out of the back or is it flush with the case? sounds like you got a good deal.

also, ALL aa1 models have a 0.3mp webcam.

solman, Nov 7, 2008
  5. Kimixii

Kimixii

It is the 3 cell model, flush with the case. Battery life is around 2-2.5 hours. Which is fine considering I will almoast always have an outlet around, and if i dont i just need this to surf around and check the emails. Which doesnt take long. Im realllly happy with the performance, I wasnt expecting much but this thing blew me away! It kills my old pentium 4 inspiron 5100 laptop, which is surprising b/c it was pretty fast :O And I think i read on a wiki page that the 160 gig model has a 1.3 MP webcam upgraded.... check this Wiki page, it shows on camera 0.3 or 1.3MP webcam. Is this correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_One

Kimixii, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Kimixii

solman

i think the 1.3mp spec is like a bad rumor that just won't die. a bunch of websites, and even the big name stores, all list the 1.3mp spec. but all current aa1 models have a 0.3mp camera, and none of them have 1.3mp.

the quick and dirty way to check your camera is to take a picture using the webcam, then examine the image properties. i'll bet you $1 that it says 0.3mp :p

solman, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Kimixii

Kimixii

So you mean take a pic, right click and click properties? And it would tell me? Never took notice if it did. Im not worried about what the webcams spec is lol, the only thing that im saying is that the quality is SWEET! The only thing that ive noticed is is that when the room your in is light, the FPS of the webcam is through the roof, but when your in a dark room the frames per second drops down quite a bit. Ive never had another webcam before, im guessing this is normal... I was planning on doing 1.5 gigs RAM but now it performs so good I prolly wont crack it open. I just have one question: I installed the AAO fan program for like 10 minutes, decided I didnt like it, and uninstalled it completely and its back to the BIOS controlling my fan. Im sure this wouldnt void the warranty, right?

Kimixii, Nov 7, 2008
  8. Kimixii

solman

i use acdsee image viewer, so the image property available in acdsee has more information than what you can find in the simple file property window.

your warranty is fine.

solman, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Kimixii

MrFreshy

I also bought an AA1 at Walmart.
    I bought mine a week ago or so.
    I had to return it because the screen was too dim.

The one I got in return also says 120GB on the box, but is in fact a nice 160GB Seagate!

w00t!

MrFreshy, Nov 9, 2008
  10. Kimixii

Kimixii

lol wow, cool! Idk what is up with the HD upgrade, but so far my A1 is running NICE. No fan issues, no random shit happening, working just how it should. And fast! I have that a1ctl downloaded to run my fan though, its a nice program. A1CTL wouldnt ruin my warrenty would it?

Kimixii, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question