Noisy Fan

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by themitch22, Feb 17, 2009.

1. themitch22

themitch22

I'm having the infamous fan noise problem. It makes a buzzing noise which is definitely noticeable. I don't know if I should try tech support and send it back, send it back to Fry's, or replace it myself?

Its a 160GB XP model. Kind of hope I waited and got the new 10" version, hopefully they fix the problems with cheap fans.

themitch22, Feb 17, 2009
  2. themitch22

Guest Guest

I just sent my back to Acer with a Noisy fan, it changed from a slight humming sound to a buzz so it didnt seem normal. It is on its way back from them and I should get it monday. I will see if they fixed it and report.

Guest, Feb 20, 2009
  3. themitch22

stageman1

Mine started making the fan noise yesterday. I called acer-usa and they sent me a return authorization within 15 minutes. I'll post on how well they do the repair.

stageman1, Feb 22, 2009
  4. themitch22

themitch22

I'm thinking of selling the 8.9" model and buy the new 10" model. I want a 6-hour battery and bigger screen. Do we know if Acer fixed the fan problem on the new models?

themitch22, Feb 22, 2009
  5. themitch22

Guest Guest

I got mine back and they replaced the thermal module and updated the bios to 3309. It is quieter hopefully it will stay that way. But its kinda strange they tell you to use all this bubble wrap and pack it really good when you ship it, but when they ship it back it was shrink wrapped on a piece of card board on the bottom sitting loose in the box to bounce around. But I guess there was no damage so it is OK.

Guest, Feb 23, 2009
  6. themitch22

stageman1

Got mine back yesterday (on a shrink wrapped piece of cardboard in a box). What a difference! The fan is quiet and seems to move air really well. Hope the replacement thermal module holds up better than the original.

stageman1, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question