No Wifi, but Ethernet works fine?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Elmlea, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Elmlea

Elmlea

Hello everyone,

Not quite the same problem everyone's been having with the connection manager, but I've got a similar issue!

I'm plugged into my router on my AAO right now, and it's all working fine. If I unplug the ethernet cable and fire up connection manager, it finds my home WLAN network no problem. It accepts the key and connects to it, but when I fire up Firefox I get the error screen with "Firefox could not contact the server" for every website I key in. I even get this error if I try to navigate to the web interface for my router.

So I'm quite confused; with the ethernet cable in, the internet works fine, but over wifi, despite a solid connection to the router (which the router itself confirms) I can't connect to any websites.

I'm complete new to Linux, and on a 512Mb/8Gb SSD/Linpus AAO, but I'm pretty tech savvy and I'm sure I can follow some instructions if anyone has any advice.

Fingers crossed... my wife wants me to take it back to PC World, but I'm not ready to admit defeat yet!

Elmlea, Sep 18, 2008
  2. Elmlea

Elmlea

Well, it's an unsatisfying solution, but it's fixed. All I did was pack up my old Speedtouch 576 router, and replace it with a D-Link one I had lying around. Same internet connection, but when the AA1 found a new wireless network, it connected to it immediately and had no problems; and I'm posting this on it now!

Seems very weird, I just have to hope it doesn't reject this WLAN in another couple of days...

Elmlea, Sep 19, 2008
  3. Elmlea

daldred

How are you confirming the solid connection? Can you ping both ways?

If you can, then are the settings on the One right as regards DNS servers and gateways - and if they are set to 'get this from the network', is the Speedtouch router set to provide full DHCP to wireless clients?

daldred, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question