No USB audio support in the kernel?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qarma, Dec 15, 2008.

1. qarma

qarma

Hello

I want to use mye AA1 as a media player (I installed Spotify under Wine and that works just perfect :) ). But when connecting the machine to my amplifier I realized that the sound from the build-in soundcard is poor... So I bought an external USB sound card from Terratec (http://www.terratec.net/en/products/Aur ... _9842.html) that should be supported by Linux.

But I am not able to get any sound from my USB sound card on my AA1.. And after reading the manual I realized that this USB sound card requires "USB audio support in the kernel". Does Linpus Lite have this??

--
    Qarma

qarma, Dec 15, 2008
  2. qarma

cpchan

cpchan, Dec 15, 2008
  3. qarma

qarma

Just for the history of this thread:

After following the detailed instructions everything worked perfect! But: I realized that this ALSA-sound/usbdriver stuff significant improved the sound quality of the build-in soundcard as well. So I ended up using the built-in soundcard instead of my new USB investment. And the quality is great!

Thanks!

--
    Qarma

qarma, Jan 5, 2009
  4. qarma

madeyemoody

had the same experience - linpus sound is very poor. In the meantime I started to use fedora xfce which allows also for hotplugging and switching usb audio devices (ext. usb speakers in my case).

madeyemoody, Jan 5, 2009
  5. qarma

qarma

After some struggling with my Linpus setup (for some reason I lost my wlan connection after a period with much trouble. And I was not able to fix it) I ended up with a fresh install of Linpus. And I now reached the same problem again. The sound is very poor... And this time I know the AA1 can give me great sound. If I "only" recompile the ALSA kernel and follow the instructions in the thread above.

But is there no other way to fix this? It feels a little bit dramatic to download a complete image to fix the poor sound... And I am afraid that future Auto-updates will be in conflict... And that this image that the instructions tell me to download is a source to my networks-problem I previously had...

Any instructions on how to ONLY fix the ALSA drivers ? I don't need the USB sound support either.

--
    Qarma

qarma, Apr 27, 2009
  6. qarma

madeyemoody

Hi Qarma,

suggest you use the new ubuntu remix 9.04. Except for the cardreaders which need a quick fix the system works fabulous! Very quick, wifi and suspend works, good audio sound (out of the box). Finally we have a decent alternative to Linpus. I see no reason to struggle with Linpus anymore.

madeyemoody, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question