No networks available in backtrack 4 r2 Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Connor, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Connor

Connor

My Problem:
    On my computer there are other wireless networks (besides my own) available but on my virtual machine there aren't.

Info:
    My Computer: Aspire One 532h-2588
    My Computer OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Virtual Machine OS: Backtrack 4 r2
    Virtual Machine Software: VMware Workstation 7.02

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additional Info:
    If you need any more info to help me please reply saying so. The same goes if you'd like me to make something clearer for you. Any help would be great. ;)

Connor, Feb 7, 2011
  2. Connor

Swarvey Moderator

I was under the impression that VMWare Workstations can only use the network that the host computer is connected to. Judging by your settings, you're using NAT so that would be the case. Change networks on your host before starting the VM and you should be fine.

Swarvey, Feb 7, 2011
  3. Connor

Connor

See I just wanted to crack a couple of those networks using backtrack. So that mean I'd need to have an external wireless adapter to see those connections in Backtrack in a virtual machine?

Connor, Feb 7, 2011
  4. Connor

Swarvey Moderator

No, your AAO (your host machine) already has a wireless network card installed. You need to get the host (your AAO) online with the network you wish to use, then boot your VM (guest) OS. If it still doesn't connect, you'll need to try the different network types available to the VM. I haven't used them in a while, so can't say for sure, but after checking my VM's, it seems I use "Bridged" networking, you may want to try that.

Swarvey, Feb 7, 2011
  5. Connor

Connor

Yes, I understood what you where saying the first time. Your saying that if I want to connect to one of those networks I'd have to do it on my host computer and then connect to my virtual machine.

What I'm saying is if I get an external wireless adapter I can use it inside the virtual machine to connect to networks. I just saw it done in this video:

Connor, Feb 8, 2011
  6. Connor

DutchDK

Since you want to use monitor mode on your WiFi adapter, you need direct access to it. When running under VMWare you do not have direct access to the WiFi NIC, since traffic on it is virtualized. You can not put the WiFi adapter into monitor mode, as the windows drivers do not support Monitor mode.

If you install backtrack in a dual boot configuration, the Linux drivers can control the WiFi NIC when booted into Backtrack, and thereby you can use monitor mode. Of course you need to insure that the correct driver for the WiFi NIC is loaded.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Feb 8, 2011
Ask a Question