No More Tiny7... how about 7.One?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Blahah, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Blahah

Blahah

The guy who made all the "Tiny" series of modded Windows, eXPerience, has decided not to continue. I think his work was awesome and really made XP and Windows 7 accessible to every user regardless of hardware. It made me able to run Photoshop, MS office and whole load of other stuff simultaneously on my little AAO 110 8GB model. I can do complex computing tasks which were never intended for this cheap little netbook, which is very cool. However, there are a few things I can't do (install language packs, run various software).

Tiny7 Rev01 was great, but it wasn't perfect for the Aspire One. I'm thinking about making a miniscule version of Windows 7 specifically for the Aspire One family... "Windows 7.One". The final version will have a similar memory imprint to the Tiny7 Rev01 install, but will include all the necessary drivers specific to the AAOs. It will also include a load of features hand-picked for the device.

I need the help of this community to decide on the features to include. Have you tried Tiny7? TinyXP? What did you like? What was missing? What can I do better in my version?

I only have the AAO 110, so I'd also like people with other hardware who are willing to test my images (only difference should be the drivers). This should only be necessary towards the end of the procedure. I'll state right at the beginning that I'm a busy person, but I love my AAO and would love for everyone who owns one to get the full potential from their device. I'll put in the time required to get a final working version of this project, and then I'll close the project.

So.. what should Windows 7.One include?

Edit: Having read through the other posts in this forum, this is the list of things I plan to include:
    -All AAO drivers included
    -Painless installation, without the hour long wait at "completing installation"
    -Ability to install langauge packs
    -Gadget gallery can be enabled
    -Include FlashFire
    -Page file turned off by default
    -Inlude On Screen Display (display function key actions)
    -.NET Framework 3.5.1 fully functional and updatable

Please let me know any more suggestions.

-Blahah

Blahah, Jan 6, 2010
  2. Blahah

chatty

Sounds good! Can't wait!
    I'd also like ie removed and replaced with firefox. But I suppose thats my preference :D

chatty, Jan 6, 2010
  3. Blahah

KiNG

remote access using windows messenger

KiNG, Jan 6, 2010
  4. Blahah

Biodome

Keep Tiny rev the way it is but add Homegroup support and network file sharing.

Biodome, Jan 7, 2010
  5. Blahah

Biodome

Also, where did you read that he had decided to not continue making new Tiny revisions?

Biodome, Jan 7, 2010
  6. Blahah

Blahah

I agree about removing IE from the OS, but I will include a portable version for those who would like to use it. It can just be deleted by those who don't want it.

I also agree about the homegroup support and network file sharing. I think the remote access in messenger will work as a result of adding this support, but I'll test that at a later stage.

@Biodome: on the eXPerience forums. You can find the link at the bottom of the eXPerience.txt file inside any TinyOS iso file.

Blahah, Jan 9, 2010
  7. Blahah

ANDERSROSE

Sounds Great!

- the bugs i found in Tiny7 on my AAO 8GB SSD model is:
    BSOD when you try to install programs, or search for updates.
    But beyond that, tiny7 is great.

ANDERSROSE, Jan 9, 2010
  8. Blahah

theo54au

I am interested to see what you will come up with, I'll keep an eye out! :geek:
    I have just installed Tiny7 on my aao 8gb ssd and it truly impresses me, just flashin FAST (I also have FlashFire installed)
    I just have one problem: the shutdown time takes up to 2 minutes, booting just 40 seconds!
    I had a look on Google but no useful suggestions yet. I updated the BIOS to Ver.3310
    am I the only one on this forum with this problem?
    Any help welcome
    Thanks

theo54au, Jan 28, 2010
  9. Blahah

theo54au

I have found out that Flashfire (very important piece of software for a SSD device) does not want to install in Tiny7. (however it doesn't tell you that) Too many services seem to be disabled in Tiny7.
    Flashfire seems to be a .NET application. But however there are remnants of .NET on Tiny7, it is not usable.
    When trying to install a fresh .NET setup, you will get a message: "Turn on\off Windows Features" in Control Panel. But trying to do so results in another message: "some features could not be changed".
    So, you end-up without .NET and therefor (more important) without Flashfire.

I see in this threat that a new version of Tiny7 to be developed will include .NET fully functional. I truly hope this is going to happen one day!

(To check if your Acer has a working Flashfire: it should have a file ffire.sys in ..\windows\system32\ )

theo54au, Feb 1, 2010
  10. Blahah

Paisley Pirate

Actually, speech support would be good. I use my AAO for a GPS unit, and having it read the directions would be nice.

Paisley Pirate, Feb 5, 2010
  11. Blahah

skidude

Have a look in ..\windows\system32\drivers That's where mine is. The improvement in speed means I'm in no doubt it's working on my AAO.

skidude, Feb 17, 2010
  12. Blahah

theo54au

theo54au, Mar 22, 2010
  13. Blahah

Borborygm

On my AOA150, I managed to make a Windows 7 Home Basic install that was 870.6 MB installed without pagefile / hibernate file (1.1GB with 256 MB pagefile). That includes Google Chrome, a few tools i made, a1ctl, new drivers, a modded "Aero-wannabe" black theme(about 100KB ram usage increase over classic and no viewable CPU difference), tweaks, and Photoshop CS3 Lite (custom). I also compressed the winsxs folder @ highest compression. Only needed drivers were included in the install.

I had to make a HUGE batch file from info I gathered at MSFN.org, then use 7slimmer, RT7lite, 7Customizer, and WinIntegrator, finally at the end I used vLite.

Not only did I do the above, but before I used vLite while the image was still mounted, I had to go in and manually delete random files I found over the course of a day or so (Even lame hard-linked ones... it's not hard to find, just search for any file that doesn't fit... "OEM", "ULTIMATE", "x64", "AMD", "VIA", Etc.

Surprisingly it's very functional... I run visual studio... VLC player... morrowind... etc.

The sad part is I catch myself finding 100-800KB files and hating myself months after :p

Borborygm, Jul 22, 2010
  14. Blahah

Sudsmcduff96

Network Sharing would be nice. I'd like to connect to other computers on my network running Windows XP while I have 7 on mine. Tiny7 wouldn't allow me :roll:

Sudsmcduff96, Jul 26, 2010
  15. Blahah

jonnyspandex

Is this still going ahead?

jonnyspandex, Aug 25, 2010
  16. Blahah

Centuri0n

Im interested to know as well, as ive just upgraded to a d260, win 7 starter is slow and clunky, my old a150 out performs it by miles running TinyXP.

Centuri0n, Nov 24, 2010
  17. Blahah

TheMan

How did you guys get Flashfire to work fine on Tiny7 ???

TheMan, Oct 12, 2012
Ask a Question