no live update since January 09

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Winfried

Winfried

From time to time I ask for live update but since Jan2009 I always get the message, that my AAO is up to date. Is that normal? eg in the meantime for open office a version 3 has been published. however, it is not in the repository since I still have OOversion 2.
    Or dit Acer stop to support the AAO sold last year?

Winfried, Mar 14, 2009
  2. Winfried

argee

Acer got stomped by Microsoft. They are terribly afraid of the Linux Netbook revolution, and they had to stop it somehow. Either
    money or threats, but Acer is effectively out of the Linux-netbook business.

Here is what I know. You can only get the old models with Limpus linux. The old 8GB (sometimes sold as 16GB, but that assumes
    an 8 GB SD card added). All models with Linux, including the hard drive models, are not restocked as they are sold off. The new
    11 incher coming out next month WILL NOT run Linux.

Their website makes no mention whatsoever of Linux. All links to their linux software are dead. Once in a while you will find one
    server they overlooked with a few odd files. The software repositories are not maintained anymore. January 9 is a joke, that is
    probably for some serious bug they had to fix, or perhaps the dying gasp of some kindly, Linux friendly employee.

I dare you to get, from Acer, any of the Limpus restore images. Like the version 1.0.15E or 1.0.21E etc. Cannot be found. They are
    g.o.n.e. With a capital R, for like Really Gone.

You can, however, get all sorts of stuff for BIOS upgrades or XP stuff. But no Linux.

However, having said that, I will state that hardware does not evaporate and that a couple of efforts are underway to rectify this.
    The Easy Peasy distro can be tweaked to work in the AOA. The Kuki Linux coming up (beta 1.6 right now, release after April 26 for
    the final version), and the Ubuntu Netbook Remix all work. Ubuntu has a fairly nice support group for the Ubuntu 8.10 and
    Ubuntu 9.04beta on their site.

I just downloaded UNR 9.04b, and Ubuntu 9.04b (not UNR), as the beta came out four days ago. My Ubuntu 9.04 beta was broken.
    MD5sum checked out fine, but the partitioner errored out. Bummer. But the 9.04b UNR installed fine. I found that the Ubuntu site
    on how to tweak the wifi to work did the trick. I have not played with SD cards yet, nor the mike. But Cheese shows my ugly face as
    the camera reads me. Ethernet and wifi and sound all worked. The UNR interface drove me nuts. There is a "switch desktop"
    utility, but I found that if I used it, upon reboot the regular desktop did not load, and if I manually switched to UNR, it was incomplete.
    Eventually I had to trash it, but I had an aa1backup of my UNR install, so I went to that, then I brought up Synaptic Package Manager
    and took out Compiz, UNR, and a few other things like all of Open Office (except for writer). My install is now 1.7 gb total, backs up
    to a usb 2 gig stick (but barely!), boots to wireless up in 40 seconds, to a desktop in 30 seconds. Regular Ubuntu desktop. Not bad!

Let me tell you about Limpus. It is a labor of love by some guys, and upon release was fairly decent. Acer obviously put some effort
    here. The interface is, perhaps, childish, but great for a little netbook which has no pretensions of being your main computer. I have
    Limpus all tweaked out by me on a 4gb usb stick and I can switch to it in 10 minutes. There is nothing wrong with it. I have Firefox 3
    on it, but I strongly recommend you do it the long-winded way and NOT from the Update site!!!

Acer covered their GPL obligations with the CD they gave you when you bought the AOA. As far as I can tell, they have no real obligation
    to have updates or backups on their site. Now that Microsoft stepped on them, they not only have no obligation, but have no desire or
    ability.

Too bad, but there it is.

argee, Mar 30, 2009
  3. Winfried

dano

Do you know this for a FACT????
    tks

dano, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Winfried

jango

Thats why i change to Ubuntu...

jango, Mar 30, 2009
  5. Winfried

argee

dano: The only thing is I wasn't a fly on the boardroom wall. But for a fact, check out their website, ftp sites, etc. etc. and you will see
    that everything I said is the absolute truth. Knowing Microsoft and their tactics (look at ODT vs MSXML debacle), the conclusion is
    obvious. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ...

Dell, for instance, has wikis, blogs, ftp sites, repositories, and people working on Linux drivers, modules, hardware issues, and their
    reps are actually live and in person on the blogs. Acer has gone from being visible in Linux to ... nothing.

argee, Mar 31, 2009
  6. Winfried

dano

According to an acer rep, they will continue to support the linux versions that they sold, via their update site........
    at some point though that will change. Oh well, nothing is forever anf I'll just move-on to another distro
    tks

dano, Apr 1, 2009
  7. Winfried

ivor

ivor, Apr 2, 2009
  8. Winfried

njay

None of those updates date 2nd Apr appear if I use live update as I just get the A patch for Huawei that's always present and not required since I don't have that?

njay, Apr 2, 2009
  9. Winfried

mzc

Thanks for the update Ivor but it's too late :( I'm pretty much satisfied with Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix. Although it's still in beta stage, ubuntu netbook remix 9.04 works well with just minor tweaks to enable wifi, the rest works out of the box, including a desktop switch.

Acer should post want they working on to improve their custom Linpus lite, in that way consumers like us can be patient in our expectations.

By the way, does the April updates include samba share?

[attachment=0:1rwpvwpc]Screenshot-2.png[/attachment:1rwpvwpc]

mzc, Apr 3, 2009
  10. Winfried

mzc

Hi njay,

what is the linpus lite version that you have? there's a probability that your version is not supported. Ivor's version shown in the link was 1.0.6. Linpus support is very much accommodating to help you out with this type of problems, just give them an email.

mzc, Apr 3, 2009
Ask a Question