no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wilky, Jul 27, 2008.

1. wilky

wilky

Just got my One and have had a little play. Then tried to hook up my adsl internet connection and it doesn't work. My modem is an iConnectAccess 621. My main laptop is running Ubuntu (only for about a month but am sold) and I didn't have to do a thing with it. Plugged modem in and off we went. Any clues why the One is not doing the same.
    Cheers
    Wilky

wilky, Jul 27, 2008
  2. wilky

Raido

Could be a lot of possible causes, but similar symptoms happened to me before I realised that my provider was actually looking at the MAC address (kind of a serial number) of my computer..! Which isn't what they are *supposed* to do (after all, you could be switching to another Internet computer at any time), but do so anyway... I had to install a router to circumvent this.

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 27, 2008
  3. wilky

jack

If your modem is connected to the computer via USB, it may be that Linpus on the One is intended to connect to the Internet only via Ethernet or Wifi. They have cut down the kernel so that it contains only the bare minimum of software. it is this lack of flexibility that allows it to be so straight-forward to use and fast to boot.

Two options :-
    You can install Ubuntu onto the One via a USB CD drive and people have had some success getting the newer/odder bits of the Acer's hardware (think wifi, microphone and camera) to work, or you can find out what software needs to be added to Linus to support your USB modem and install & configure that.

If you connect via Ethernet, then Raido is most-likely right.

If you have multiple machines wanting to access the Internet, you would usually be far better off setting up a local network with a router 'sharing' your Internet connection.

jack, Jul 28, 2008
Ask a Question