No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network center"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolly, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jolly

cativo

cativo, Apr 15, 2009
  2. jolly

goestas

Having exactly the same problem since about a week, without having to the best of my knowledge changed anything (maybe installed an update from Acer?). The fix in the previous post does not change anything for me. Any other ideas? Thanks.

goestas, Apr 21, 2009
  3. jolly

ageish

Just in case this works...

I had the same prob with network manager not working until I realised it only happened when the panel at the bottom of the screen
    which shows active programs etc. is set to auto-hide in the panel settings.

I unchecked the auto-hide box & have had no problem since.
    Hope this helps someone.

However, today it has started forgetting the network password.... oh well!

I love this little machine, but I think it may be a little needy! LOL

:oops: just noticed the auto-hide thing above has been mentioned before.... don't know how I missed it... DOH

ageish, Jun 25, 2009
  4. jolly

samfonzo

I had this problem all week, was about to do a restore off the stick, however played with setting and flicked it back to xfce4.0, as it was on xfce, and bingo my network icon came back, i had done everything in this thread, and even reinstalled a new panel after i lost all the icons.. werid and very strange.

-samfonzo

samfonzo, Jul 16, 2009
  5. jolly

samfonzo

aahh spoke to soon its gone again, when i flick on the wifi switch nothing happens, and i get this werid -1 error, so im going to # out nm-applet and try this wcid.

-samfonzo

samfonzo, Jul 18, 2009
  6. jolly

HappyH

Similar to most - after selecting a few options in 'Software Updater' - I've lost access to Network Center & my Linpus AAO no longer connects automatically. I've tried all the suggested fixes in this thread with no success, looks like another Recovery (this will be my 3rd in 3 weeks) for me unless any kind soul has any further suggestions or advice.
    Any help appreciated & thanks in advance,
    HH.

HappyH, Jul 19, 2009
  7. jolly

samfonzo

I am lost for words, i have had every error known to man, starting nm-applet from root starts it, however it spits out a heap of errors, in anger i slammed the lid down and went outside for a smoke, came back opened the lid, and Bingo wifi was up and running, now im to scared to reboot, as im sure i will lose networkmanager, on a side note, i tryed to run the updater again as it found new Networkmanger packages, however i have a gnome conflict, so thats another cheers to acers live updates...

also, has anyone gotten wicd working at all..??

-samfonzo

samfonzo, Jul 19, 2009
  8. jolly

dojetdriver

I have tried EVERYTHING listed on this thread. Anybody have any other idea?

Thanks

dojetdriver, Jul 31, 2009
  9. jolly

Leperous

Apologies for thread-necro, but I found this page on Google and managed to fix it by installing an old version of NetworkManager.

I downloaded this file to a USB stick on another PC:
    http://linpuscdn.040services.net/cdn/AC ... ager109.sh
    (These are all Linpus update files, you can browse to it via http://update.linpus.com/ACER/ if you prefer or if the link doesn't work at some point in the future!)

I put the USB stick into the Acer, it opened the contents of the drive automatically but you'll probably want to run the .sh file yourself via a terminal.

So press ALT-F2, type 'terminal' and press enter. Navigate to your USB drive (it'll probably be mounted to somewhere in the /media/ folder, in my case I typed "cd /media/disk"). Run the file by typing "sudo NetworkManager109.sh" (or type "sudo" and press <TAB> until the file comes up), reboot, you should be good to go again.

Leperous, Aug 17, 2009
  10. jolly

Labelette

:p Re; no connection, wireless icon gone, cannot opp netwok center

Many thanks Lesperous.

Downloaded file to peg swore at it a couple of times and woosh it works, another family computer out of my kitchen. Slightly different buttons too push but thats the nature of the beast.

Thanks again

Labelette

Labelette, Sep 26, 2009
  11. jolly

kickiedee

THANKS MUUUUUU! THIS WORKED FOR ME FINALLY AFTER SPENDING HOURS RIPPING MY HAIR OUT AND LOSING FAITH IN THOSE ACER STAFF! GRRRR

kickiedee, Dec 18, 2009
  12. jolly

wakers

Worked for me too so thanks for taking the time to post the info on here...

It didn't first time i tried because i didn't notice the spacing between the unset and the forward slash, but got there in the end after about 8 hours reading internet forums, our prob started i presume because my daughter ran the battery down, i'm amazed this fault can occur from this...

Find it a bit ridiculous that the Netbook we have doesn't come with a recovery disc or a recovery usb...

Its also proved really unreliable so far, i have an Acer laptop thats 3yrs old and been totally trouble free, the same can't be said for the Netbook its been back 4 times this year, new screen was one, a faulty cable was another, and i don't actually know what the last 2times were for, but out of the year its been at acer for nearly 4months, so i was reluctant to send it back again...

wakers, Dec 28, 2009
  13. jolly

jasperondgo

well i know maybe im off topic just nid some help regarding the internet conection of my ASPIRE 5570Z ive search throghout the net for decades now hoping theres some 1 outder who can help me with my prob the prob of my laptop is the internetconnection i connect and disconnect to the internet every once in awhile and i do not know whats the source of he problem ive done all the instructions given y the other forums but no luck. im using a wired lan broadband for my connection thnx in advance and godbless

jasperondgo, Dec 30, 2009
  14. jolly

jchedley

worked for me! always worth a good search on the net for clever peoples responses :)

jchedley, Jan 27, 2010
  15. jolly

dag44

Hi
    If you get this result, please try
    #yum update NetworkManager*
    A network manager that works!!!!

dag44, Apr 29, 2010
  16. jolly

madhatas

Brilliant, Thanks for this. :D

madhatas, May 13, 2010
  17. jolly

missybanu

How come it doesn't work for me? :evil: I entered the code but nothing happens, I have to enter it without " , don't I? Only the bold part?!

missybanu, May 24, 2010
  18. jolly

sailoryue

Re: No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network cen

how do i do the alt-f2 thing? i press alt-f2 on my desktop and nothing happened... :?

sailoryue, Jun 9, 2010
  19. jolly

Marky756

Re: No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network cen

Hi guys can you please help me. My problem is I have no Wifi in my laptop. my laptop model was acer aspire 4310. I look at its installer but the application for wifi is corrupt. can you please help me how to manage this problem I have no wifi application thats why I can't connect.

Marky756, Aug 30, 2010
Ask a Question