No Connection, wireless icon-gone, cannot op"network center"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolly, Sep 2, 2008.

1. jolly

Prodigy.NL

Giving up hope, spend more then 12 hours on it, im bringing the thing back to the shop.

Prodigy.NL, Sep 15, 2008
  2. jolly

bunanson

Have you tried to power on/off the router? Sometimes that clearup the router jam and make things going...

bun

bunanson, Sep 16, 2008
  3. jolly

passerby

No connection, none of the icons gone, connection manager accessible, read and tried everything suggested here and rebooted from USB twice but nothing helps. Completely new to linux. Bought AA1 for my daughter and fell in love with this thing but now beginning to regret. Worked fine for a week in IRL and UK then dropped connection while browsing. No updates were done unless they are automated (as I said I'm absolutely new to linux). In connection manager if all TCP/IP information entered shows established connection but still no access to web??? Can anyone help? Still not giving up...

updated:
    :?: :?: :?: Powered on today, added LAN in connection manager and it works???!!! What was different yesterday???
    O yeah, after rebooting few of keypad buttons were changed and now instead of "~" I'm getting "|", instead of "2" I have "@" and so on :shock: What to do???

updated 2:
    Solved issue with keypad (excuse me my ignorance :oops: ) but made vital mistake deciding to run live updates. Connection is lost again!!! I'm the only one with this issue? It's seems that everyone is running them now with no trouble. Rebooting from scratch didn't help (same as yesterday). What do I do wrong? :cry:

passerby, Sep 17, 2008
  4. jolly

jolly

Update on my mother's computer:

After fighting with it, losing my temper and then calling Acer... who btw started out tech support with: "have you tried unplugging it and then restarting it?"

:eek:

:x

:lol: I just laughed.

I started talking bout the "linpus os" and the support person didn't know what I was talking about. Seriously. They suggested I do a reboot, after I explained that I could not do a reboot because of the hurricane issues.

At that point I told them I either wanted a new computer, or for them to fix it, for free. It is currently at Acer, being fixed, for free. My mom will get her One back in approx. 1 week.

Sucks that she's doesn't have her puter, but I'm also not losing my mind over it.

jolly, Sep 18, 2008
  5. jolly

passerby

Looks like no one cares, bu I'll write anyway.
    Nightmare continues as I turned AA1 on this morning to find out that it has LAN connection. Same thing has happened yesterday. I cannot understand this but I won't be running any updates on this thing for sure.
    Just to make clear, I had connection on my Dell all that time and powered off and on AA1 and router at least 5 times and nothing helped. So what kind of ghost lives in this little thing?

:evil: :evil: Just rebooted AA1 after installing Skype and lost connection again :evil: :evil:
    This thing is driving me mad. As soon as i get out of the bed (flu virus) this thing is going back to the store or getting w/xp installed :evil: :evil: :evil:

passerby, Sep 18, 2008
  6. jolly

Elmlea

Passerby, I think my AA1 might have the same disease as yours!

Bought it, and it immediately hooked up to my WLAN network and downloaded all its updates. Worked fine for the first 2 days we had it.

Then, on day 3, it suddenly stopped allowing me to browse the web via wireless. Connects fine, authenticates fine to my WLAN (according to both it and the router) but everything I try to do on the internet (web, email, MSN) gives me a "cannot find server" or "server unreachable" message.

I plugged it in with a wired connection, and it ran perfectly; everything worked! I faffed a bit, tried to figure out what could be causing it but I'm another one new to Linux and I had no idea where to start.

Later on, I tried it wired again and it wouldn't work, nor would it work over WLAN. In its latest state, it's now refusing to connect to my network at all; it's as if the connection manager's not working. If I click "scan" for WLAN networks, it does nothing at all.

What the hell is wrong with this thing? I don't have much hope for technical support, so I imagine I'll just take it back to PC World and swap it for a new one or a refund. Thing is, I don't like the Asus Eee, and we only went for the AA1 because of its price point, so it's this or nothing. And when it works, it's EXACTLY what we want!

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix its networking problems??

Elmlea, Sep 18, 2008
  7. jolly

vickoxy

I posted my problem here:
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3707

But there is something to add: i used "rm -rf ~/.gconf/system/networking" and then i activated nm-applet and it works, but sudo chown user:user .optsdksettings does´nt work because this file i don´t have. So, my WiFi is working but i need to reenter every time my password. How to fix it? And yes- i add nm-applet to xfce-autostart-editor but i need to reenter by reboot or standy my password. It is annoying. Anybody knows how to fix it?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  8. jolly

vickoxy

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  9. jolly

vickoxy

Unfortunately, it is workin only after start-after standby-nothing-have to activate nm-applet manually. Does anyone knows how to fix this?

vickoxy, Sep 19, 2008
  10. jolly

uschan

... wireless icon-gone, "network center": .service-solution

After booting other distros from an USB-key I lost the tray icon an the NetworkManager did not respond anymore.

There is a simple solution that did the trick on my aa1:

First, like superguido describes in his post [1], I copied the hdc1._.tar.bz2 from the recovery-dvd to an external harddisk and unzipped the file (takes some time).
    Next I compared the contents of the /usr/share/dbus-1/services folder on my harddisk-copy to the one on my aa1.
    I found three files missing on the aa1 (may be different on your machine):
    • AMETrayIcon.service[/*:m:crqjx54g]
    • IMApp.service[/*:m:crqjx54g]
    • TaskQueueManager.service[/*:m:crqjx54g]
    So guess what: just copy & paste

Well, I changed the file-rights to be like the other files in this folder (optional, security-issue):
    Code:
    chmod a-x *

Reboot. Done.

By the way: Does your NetworkManager ask for the WPA-password each time you want to connect to a wireless-lan?
    /usr/share/dbus-1/services is the same folder you need to work in, if you want to try the keyring-solution I posted in another threat [2].

[1] http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/...sk=t&sd=a&hilit=recovery disc&start=30#p20257
    [2] http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395&p=26197#p26197

uschan, Sep 23, 2008
  11. jolly

vickoxy

Hi, uschan, your question:
    Answer is no. After Startup my network and password are automatically recognized. But after hibernation nm-applet doesn´t show up-so, then i have to press my starter that i made to activate nm-applet, and sometimes it connect itself automatically to network, sometimes i need to chose my network-but password is always remembered.

vickoxy, Sep 23, 2008
  12. jolly

Acme

The "copying the .service file from the tarball method" did not work for me.
    I had to recover and do all the things that I want again. :evil:

I solved the problem from re-occuring by excluding the NetworkManager packages from being installed by yum.

I placed an exclude parameter in the yum.conf file like this:
    exclude=NetworkManager*

I also excluded kernel packages. The kernel I have is working fine at the moment :)

Acme, Sep 23, 2008
  13. jolly

vickoxy

So. Acme-i am novice to Linux so i need explanation: i installed all these updates-but i can redo update of network manager? How exactly? I mean where should i find these files?
    Thanks

vickoxy, Sep 23, 2008
  14. jolly

Acme

Well, I don't know. Can you post the outcome of 'rpm -qa|grep -i networkmanager' ?
    This way you can check if you have a newer version of NetworkManager.

The following packages comes with the linpus revocer cd :

[root@localhost bin]# rpm -qa |grep -i networkmanager
    NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.0-daily.lp.080416
    NetworkManager-glib-0.7.0-lp.0020
    NetworkManager-vpnc-0.7.0-daily.lp.080416
    NetworkManager-0.7.0-lp.0020
    NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.0-lp.0020

Acme, Sep 24, 2008
  15. jolly

ftapon

Jukk, could you (or someone else) please explain to Linux newbies how you "emptied all subsdirectories"?

I've lost all connections and the Network Center doesn't open when I click it.

I would prefer a solution that doesn't involve restoring the entire system.

Thank you!

ftapon, Sep 24, 2008
  16. jolly

jukk

I don't think this forum is meant for discussing basic unix tasks. If you are unsure how to do or what it does, better not do it.

jukk, Sep 24, 2008
  17. jolly

kapinouwi

no connection? icon gone? cannot op network center?

simply use in terminal

su -
    password
    mv .gconf .gconf.orig

reboot

et voila! :)

kapinouwi, Sep 24, 2008
  18. jolly

vickoxy

Thanks kapinouwi, but i still need to activate nm-applet with starter after hibernation. Network and Password are recocgnized, but always after standby my nm-applet dissapears.

vickoxy, Sep 24, 2008
  19. jolly

kapinouwi

bizarre...

kapinouwi, Sep 24, 2008
  20. jolly

saymyname

not working,it says after typing on terminal that there is no ".gconf" :cry:

saymyname, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question