No bootable Device ONLY when I restart(yes I've searched)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Smokingfilla, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Smokingfilla

Smokingfilla

Ok for starters the laptop's an acer aspire 5336 model with windows 7 ultimate.So this little computer has recently just popped up with the problem of not wanting to restart.I've managed to get win 7 disk to fix the problem like 2 or 3 times BUT it comes right back(mind you this is nothing but in 2 hours tops).I honestly am not understanding why it's happening,first it said something about pxe cable not bootable or something,well I went in the bios and stopped it from saying that but not it just says no bootable device in it's place :(. The computer WILL start and shutdown,it just won't restart.At a few points in the 9 hour fight with it it wouldn't boot to windows in general it would tell me about boot bcd or something along the lines was messed up I guess,but that was only if I did certain things to fix my main problem.SO my question is,how to fix "No bootable device insert boot disk"error?

Smokingfilla, Apr 20, 2012
  2. Smokingfilla

rabindranauth

seems like you disable it from booting from the hard drive. boot into the bios and undo these changes or if your bios have a reset to default option select that. hope it helps

rabindranauth, Jun 15, 2012
  3. Smokingfilla

Swarvey Moderator

Most likely candidate here is dead/dying hard drive or SSD. But it could also be memory (far less likely ).

When a hard drive starts dying, it can do it in two ways;

If the circuit board on it is having issues, you'll see all sorts of problems, BIOS won't detect it, read or write errors, corrupted data.

When the platters or heads fail, it'll be near impossible to use for storage.

What you're getting is both massive data corruption (the BCD entries for a start ) and failure to detect it in the BIOS (no bootable device ).

If you have a spare hard drive, or can get a loan if one, try thug before buying a replacement, just to be sure. But to me it sounds like you really need a new drive. Either the firmware or circuit board as a whole is failing, back up what u can as soon as you can and get a replacement.

Swarvey, Jun 16, 2012
  4. Smokingfilla

elPaulio Moderator

but if it will startup and shut down ok, just not restart surely that points away from the hard drive?
    I would have thought that restarting would have been the least problematic scenario as it doesn't have the high current draw of getting the platters up to speed and what not.

Although, I agree with you it should be the hard drive failing theres on bit of me that thinks it might not be.

As Swarvey says, try out a replacement drive and see if that works. But get everything backed up ASAP just in case im wrong ;)

elPaulio, Jun 17, 2012
Ask a Question