No audio device in XP SP3-RC2

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mazade, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mazade

mazade

Hello there,
    My bit of confusion and brick wall that I've run up against... I have an "Other Device" and sub-item 'PCI Device' in my device manager but I have no installed audio device... I've re-run the installation programs once so far and am about to go a second round...
    The windows audio service is still running and is set to automatic in the services panel...

I tried to manually install the drivers to the unknown 'pci device' but the only choices it gave me, even when going to the specific driver directories, was for joysticks and multimedia input devices... sheesh.

mazade, Jul 27, 2008
  2. mazade

rory

I used to have this problem all the time with my sound card on my desktop. All sound cards seem to have some kind of game port as part of them... Only way I could solve it was to find newer drivers.

Have you tried uninstalling it totally, then letting Windows detect it and install automatically?
    I couldn't get my WLAN to work on Vista until I connected my Belkin USB WLAN stick, installed that then deleted the onboard WLAN drivers which werent up to date enough for Vista, then let it install and search by itself. Then it found them and works fine.
    Rory

rory, Jul 28, 2008
  3. mazade

eliafino

Hi,
    try this:

Install chipset driver
    Install sound driver
    Remove "PCI Device" in your system
    Reboot
    Now all working right!

Regards,
    Elia Finotti

eliafino, Jul 28, 2008
  4. mazade

mazade

Nothing yet

Thanks for the reply's and such. I've tried the various methods you speak of aside from the manual attempts. For the time I'm going back to doing a non-nlite'd install of XP SP1 OEM and working my way up & around from there... perhaps some of the settings in N-lite, or the sp3 slipstreaming, are messing up the functionality of the audio drivers. After my initial post on this I wiped and re-installed xp, a little more bloated this time and still nothing, one way or another. I'll do the install that I talkd about above and report on what happens with that. In the Linups OS I do recall on day 1 that I could play a youtube vid or anything and I got sound just fine so I know its not really a hardware issue...or at least it shouldn't be.

mazade, Jul 28, 2008
  5. mazade

mazade

It seems that 'order of operations' is important

Well as usual I got carried away with things earlier on. In the N-lite-ing of my desired xp install I decided to wrap the drivers in with everything... that's where I went wrong.. twice. This last time I left out the drivers in the n-lite-ing... as well as the service packs and most of the "remove all of this crap" modifications.. Buut what I did do, after it took forever(or all day today) to install, was install the drivers in the order which people commonly specify: Chipset, VGA.. and then Audio. So, should anyone mess with any N-lite modifications, my personal understanding, leave out any and all drivers from the N-lite cd/install process, and then, only after windows XP is installed, load up the drivers in the specified order.
    As my laughable understanding goes... 'how often is it that experience gain comes from a situation gone right?'
    Learn from my mistake.. it seems that this HDMI audio is a little finicky/sensitive when it comes to driver stuff.

mazade, Jul 29, 2008
  6. mazade

dejawou

try this http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=22749
    it worked for me, first install the hotfix, then install those drivers. then find the yellow marked PCI Device icon in device manager and update drivers via automatic method and voila. it works

dejawou, Aug 14, 2008
  7. mazade

thepyawkt

WOW! I had this problem, followed your link, downloaded and use the exe file, followed your instructions, and BAM! We're in business! Where did that file come from? Just curious...? I wish they would post it on Acer's FTP site!

thepyawkt, Sep 14, 2008
  8. mazade

Daijoubu

SP3...RC2?

The final version is out!

Daijoubu, Sep 16, 2008
  9. mazade

mazade

Well that was my fault... I just had & used a network redistributable install of sp3-rc2 that I had... that's the only reason..

mazade, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question