newly installed software not appear on manual

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Jan 29, 2009.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

i have insatlled few software by RPM, but they don't appear on the right click manual! I have installed Dosbox, it appeared on the manual, under "system", I also installed Wine, they also appeared on the manual, but Real Player and Picasa never appears, each time I have to run them by alt+2, what is causing this problem?

thanks! ;)

steven.chien, Jan 29, 2009
  2. steven.chien

daldred

Realplayer doesn't seem to install the ".desktop" file it should in order to appear in the menu. It would be possible to create one manually, by following the example of other .desktop files in /usr/share/applications.

I can't give you detail on this as I haven't Realplayer installed myself so wouldn't have all the file names and locations available.

daldred, Jan 29, 2009
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

Thanks! I will try it!

steven.chien, Jan 30, 2009
  4. steven.chien

steven.chien

I have done this:

Code:
    su
    cd /opt/picasa/desktop
    cp google-picasa.desktop /usr/share/applications

That's it! The link will appear in "Others" sub menu, I am not sure how to put it into Multimedia, anyone have any idea?

steven.chien, Feb 1, 2009
  5. steven.chien

daldred

If you view the .desktop file, doers it contain a line starting 'Categories'?

If not, try putting one in; if the line reads 'Categories: Multimedia' it should sort itself into the Multimedia section of the menu. I'm not sure whether it will do this immediately, or whether you need to restart XFCE (which practically probably means rebooting the One) to get it to switch.

daldred, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question