Newer Realtek Audio Driver (XP)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by trepamuros, Oct 1, 2008.

1. trepamuros

trepamuros

Let's see: Acer provides the Realtek Audio Driver for XP, which is version 5.10.0.5628. That one is in fact the R1.94 WHQL dated on May 22, 2008.

I discovered there are a lot of newer versions of this driver. Latest is R2.03 (5.10.0.5694), dated on September 2008. This one is apparently compatible with all Realtek chipset, including the ALC268 which is the AAO has built-in.

Here are the clues: http://www.realtek.cz/download.php?realtek=ALC662&system=1.

I was wondering if this newer driver (R2.03, 5.0.10.5694) can be installed instead the older from Acer site.

*EDIT* An even newer version (R2.05) was released from Realtek on October 1, 2008. I installed it on my desktop PC (which had the older R1.86 version) and worked fine.

trepamuros, Oct 1, 2008
  2. trepamuros

nmesisca

I would be grateful if you could test the Microphone for me, please..

thanks
    N

nmesisca, Oct 8, 2008
  3. trepamuros

DvST8

DvST8, Oct 11, 2008
  4. trepamuros

melhiore

Downloaded newest version, installed, all OK. Mic as well...

melhiore, Oct 11, 2008
  5. trepamuros

tr1k4y4

<down on knees, arms held high, eyes heavenward> :D Seriously, can't thank DvST8 and the rest of you on this thread enough.

Wow factor rating was slipping I gotta tell ya. Bought the Linux 120Gb two weeks ago. Loved the 11 sec boot-up compared with desktop XP taking fully 10-15 mins, but lost icons on first auto update after three days of ownership and hours on this site revealed no official fix avail. Open Office Impress not quite there yet, knocks PowerPoint formatting out to an unacceptable amount, no good with music files over several slides. Despite genuine desire to abandon M$, I sobbed as it went back, unable to sustain weeks camped out on this forum trying to install XP on a partitioned drive without an OEM XP CD. Instead, keen to sort of you know, do some actual work in running my business, I replaced it with another new shiny white AA1 XP Home 120Gb.

All well and good after ten days, then this one also seemed to react badly to an auto update - several music files in WMP (but not all) started sounding like they were being played underwater. Thought I'd inadvertently altered the Realtek Sound Manager settings to bathroom or something. Variable volume kicked in. I downloaded iTunes but then all music irrespective of file and player was drowning. Messed about with Realtek tabs/Speaker settings but to no avail. Driver tab indicated v5.10.0.5628 as poster tepamuros said, May 2008. How is the average user supposed to know this equates to a v1.94 and they're now on 2.06? :evil: :geek: I did visit the Realtek site, found that driver download page before finding this thread, but as it said 2.06 I thought that was an earlier patch release than the 5.10 on my AA1.

Took me a while to track this thread down; couple of false dawns on other threads. Tried wireless download direct from Realtek site on above link, but last night's connection speed was snail mail. Opted instead for hardwire ADSL broadband dowload to my desktop, still took 45mins (from Site 3 on that link above, first two were down). Saved the .exe to a flash drive and then swapped it over to the AA1, booted from the stick, installed without a hitch and sound now perfect.

You people saved my :oops: sanity and an upcoming music-enabled PowerPoint presentation for a workshop I'm doing this coming week. I see so many posts with the holy grail answer but few ever come back and say cheers, so this is to say you're much appreciated....

back to work then...

tr1k4y4, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question