Newbie thinking about buying - please help

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by SnappySnappy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. SnappySnappy

SnappySnappy

Okay first of all sorry about this but i'm a but lost with all this Linux stuff.

I'm thinking about buying an Acer Aspire One from Tesco for 179 pounds.

Can anyone answer the folloming questions for me??

1. Can you load up noraml PC games on to the acer running linux and if so, how, as there is no cd drive?

2. Will linux allow me to connect my current lexmark printer to it?

3. Is it suitable ffor my eight yr old daughter to use for web-browsing, homework and games?

4. Can i use the documents created in word on windows in the word processor for linux - and also the spreadsheets???

5. okay no more questions yet

6. thanks

7. sorry

8. stopping now

Thanks in advance

SnappySnappy, Nov 13, 2008
  2. SnappySnappy

Grim Squeaker

1. Windows and Linux are different operating systems. That means that programs -including games- written for windows in principle do not run under linux and vice versa.
    Fortunately there exists a program called "wine" that does in fact make it possible to run quite a few windows programs - but not all, and not always with great performance. Add to that the fact that the specifications of the One are not that high and you may find that many modern games will not run well.

As for the cd question - you can connect an external cd/dvd drive or transfer all the files with an USB stick. Linux can also read cd images (often called .iso files) as if they were real cds.

2. I do not know. It should, but there seem to be a lot of people having trouble getting their printer to work.

3. Webbrowsing - yes. Homework - yes. Games.. well, the simpler ones ;)

4. The One comes with Open Office installed. This program can read word and excel files.
    You can if you want to be certain your files are compatible download OpenOffice for windows yourself from http://www.OpenOffice.org and test it :)

Grim Squeaker, Nov 13, 2008
  3. SnappySnappy

daldred

I assume you mean Windows games. Some will run under a Windows emulator, but some won't. You can use an external USB CD drive to load them.
    Depends on the printer: there are some Lexmark drivers available for Linux. Googling 'Lexmark Linux' might help; alternatively provide the printer model and someone might be able to tell you whether the printer shows up on the built-in list.
    Probably ideal - as long as she doesn't need Windows games. Flash games on Internet sites will run; and there are scores if not hundreds of games available to install free for Linux. My ten-year old son does web browsing, homework and games interchangeably on Windows and Linux; my 18 year old daughter is now at University having used nothing but Linux for these functions since she was about 12.
    OpenOffice will read and write Word and Excel files. Fonts will vary a bit, and some of the more advanced functionality won't carry across well as OpenOffice does things differently, but for most purposes, yes. If you need the more advanced stuff, have a look at Crossover Office, which will run Office on Linux.

daldred, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question