Newbie step by step remove games?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by keroro1979, Sep 16, 2008.

1. keroro1979

keroro1979

Im a complete Linux newbie, and cannot find a step by step guide to removing programs - Ive never used terminal, other than to access the xfce on my AA1.
    I managed to get rid of the Games Package from add/remove software, but how do I actually use Terminal to remove the others? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

keroro1979, Sep 16, 2008
  2. keroro1979

scottro

To use the terminal, if you know the name of the game, you can start with

yum remove <game_name>

replacing <game_name> with the name of the game you wish to remove.

This may or may not also want to remove a bunch of things you need. It will go through various things, then, before doing the removal, give the list of packages it might remove, and ask if this is alright. Be careful with this. For example, once, on a workstation, I removed wireless-tools to find that it had removed about 10 other programs, some of which I needed, which had no obvious relationship to wireless.

If the list is acceptable, then hit y for yes and let it do its thing.

If the list is unacceptable, that is, if it seems as if it will remove packages you think you will need, (or if you're unsure) then hit n for no and use
    rpm -e --nodeps <game_name>

The -e is for erase, i.e., remove and the --nodeps means it won't remove anything else. (Note that the -e has a single hyphen and the --nodeps has a double hyphen).

The reason I suggest trying yum before using the rpm -e is that yum will give you the confirmation dialog in case you make a mistake and that it might also remove other things you want removed, which would be a Good Thing(TM) rather than a Bad Thing(TM).

scottro, Sep 16, 2008
  3. keroro1979

keroro1979

Thanks for that.

I must be doing something wrong though - when i try yum, i get "You need to be root to perform this command" - how do i get to the root directory?

Im just trying to remove the pre-installed games (Buttefly, Bubble Shooter etc). I tried the rpm -e way round, trying "Butterfly" and "Checkers" - but go "Package not installed".

I really hate sounding so thick. Ive been spoilt with years of Windows GUI lol!

keroro1979, Sep 16, 2008
  4. keroro1979

scottro

No, *I* did something wrong, I gave you incomplete instructions.

Preface the commands with sudo, e.g., sudo yum remove <game_name>.

As for finding the name of the game

rpm -qa| grep -i Checkers

will hopefully give you the exact name.

rpm -qa is query all. By itself, it would give you a list of all packages installed. The | is called a pipe--it pipes the result of the query to another command, grep. So, it's sending the output of the command rpm -qa to grep. The grep command searchs for a pattern, and doing -i makes it case insensitive, in case the actual game is called checkers.

It's possible though, that it's part of a games suite, so if running that command against those game names doesn't give any results, you can try again with something like
    rpm -qa |grep games
    (I don't have my Aspire with me right now, so can't do an actual check.) Trying on Fedora workstation, I don't see any package called checkers.

Sometimes, however (I'm not sure about xfce though) you can open it through the menu, right click on the menu item, e.g., checkers, and get a properties submenu. That will often give you the exact command used to start the game, and using the name of that command, you might be able to find the package.

scottro, Sep 16, 2008
  5. keroro1979

keroro1979

I am in your debt. Thanks very much :)

keroro1979, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question