Newbie greetings.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Obeonecanopener, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Obeonecanopener

Obeonecanopener

Hi. First post so greetings to one and all. Yesterday I purchased an Acer Aspire One and I have to say I’m real pleased with the little thing. I’m relatively new to the Linux way of doing things and so have a lot to learn but looking forward to that. So: Newbie question one. Could someone recommend a firewall and anti-virus for the Acer. And newbie question two is---the fan is not really loud but it whines a bit, is that normal? I just find it a little annoying.
    Thanks.
    Obi.

Obeonecanopener, Sep 26, 2008
  2. Obeonecanopener

rbil

You need neither an anti-virus program nor a firewall. As to fan noise. Can't say as mine is quiet.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 26, 2008
  3. Obeonecanopener

melhiore

Is newbie willing to use SEARCH?? Hello by the way - I wish you all the best with your new little friend...

melhiore, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Obeonecanopener

Duncan_Rowland

Hi Obi,
    your questions are good ones, but as melhiore tries to indicate, they've been discussed before (feel free to check for relevant posts using the search box above). In my opinion, backing up your work is more important than safeguarding your system with anti-virus or firewall (neither of which is trivial with the linux system on the aspire one as it ships). Things break, get lost, etc... so a sensible backup system (even just sending important files to gmail) will save you work no matter what the cause of failure. Agreed the fan is slightly noticeable, but easily downed out by fingers drumming on the keyboard :)
    Best,
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Obeonecanopener

Obeonecanopener

Hi guys; thanks for the replies. Yes, I did a search but got a little confused. I think I understand that because of the way Linux works a virus is not such a problem only as to a firewall I'm still in the dark. rbil said 'You need neither an anti-virus program nor a firewall.' Unfortunately, he didn't say why. Coming over from windows is quite a leap as everything is new (different) and has to be learnt again. Anyway; I'll search the firewall bit again. Yes, did back up as soon as I had the little thing up and running. Hy; today I bought a copy of Linux made easy as it had 'Migrate form windows' maybe I'll find a firewall hidden inside :D

Take Care.
    Obe

Obeonecanopener, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question