NEWB question: Will this work? (Intel 5300 on my AOD250)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Astroman, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Astroman

Astroman

New owner here, just purchase my blue AOD250 earlier last week and have already been planning upgrades for what already seems to be a great netbook. Plans are to put in 2gb ram, a verizon ev-do card (torn from the 720 usb adapter) in the free mini pcie slot, and upgrade the b/g card to the Intel 5300 AGN. My question is will the Intel 5300 work with the appropriate drivers on the 250? Or should I be looking at another card? The Intel 5300 seems very reasonable price wise, with the ability to get one for under $20 on ebay. The card is half height so it should fit. Here is the ebay link (and please if it can work let me get one, theres 10 available, lol) http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-5300agn-802-1 ... 286.c0.m14

Looks like it should work with the 250s chipset...

Thanks!!

Astroman, Aug 18, 2009
  2. Astroman

ashram

the 5300 should work fine (key word should), i actually ordered one for my wife's d250 (unless it's that much better than the 5100 series, then it's mine!)

just remember that if you plan to use the ev-do card, you will have to solder in the sim reader and either:
    a: tape pin 20 on the card or
    b: DO NOT upgrade from firmware 1.02 (or 1.03) and you should be able to then cut the wifi switch in half to activate the card when you want to....

ashram, Aug 19, 2009
  3. Astroman

Astroman

Sweet! Thanks a lot!When I do get both of the cards I'll check the threads with regards to the EV-DO card. Verizon doens't use SIM cards, so will that still affect me? Just want to keep the USB devices minimal and utilize inside what I can. I've been a member of auto forums, so I hope I can bring the same to this site. Thank you again for the helpful response and I look forward to browsing the site more and get some great ideas.

Astroman, Aug 19, 2009
  4. Astroman

ashram

totally forgot you mentioned it's a verizon card... you should be fine then.

ashram, Aug 19, 2009
  5. Astroman

Astroman

Ok, got the netbook tore apart (for the hell of it, curious what was inside) found the spot to install the intel wireless card, put it back together and installed the verizon card. The card installed fine (had installed the usb drivers first, then put the card in using USB) BUT what about the antenna? Will I have to run an antenna from another deceased laptop, or is there a way to use the existing antenna connection while maintaining my regular wifi (still keeping the stock wifi until I get the intel)? I don't see a DIY topic for the verizon card yet. When I get it all figured out I'll put up a DIY with pics for anyone else. I work as a contract tech for a decent sized company and will have the opportunity here very soon to do this on 2 more acer aspire one D250s so I'm hoping I can get it all worked out on mine first. :?

Astroman, Aug 27, 2009
  6. Astroman

ashram

another antenna.... from a dead laptop/netbook or ebay

just reminded me to order an extra for mine!

ashram, Aug 28, 2009
  7. Astroman

Astroman

The netbook took the card without any problems or even the need to hunt for drivers in windows 7. Now if I can just get my broadcomm HD card figured out...

Astroman, Jan 4, 2010
Ask a Question