New XP 160/1g running slow

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rach3, Oct 25, 2008.

1. rach3

rach3

Hi,

I've been searching the site to find ways to speed up this netbook; everything lags - internet, document loading, etc. - and am not having much luck. The only thing I've done as of yet, is upgrade the Atheros device driver to 7.6.1.149 and turned the power saver setting to OFF. This noticably helped but still lags, esp loading and playing youtube. Can anyone point me in the right direction? If a "net"book is this slow, I'd rather return it. But you'd think a netbook would at least be fast on the internet?? If anyone can offer guidance or links to instructions that can help with this, I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!!!

Rachel

rach3, Oct 25, 2008
  2. rach3

goofball

have you uninstalled unnecessary junk like the mcafee suite that comes with it?

goofball, Oct 25, 2008
  3. rach3

Janiz

First off get rid off all the crap in AAO like heavy Macafee antivirus and firewall and use windows firewall instead. Also updating your video drivers and BIOS can speed up computer a bit. Hope this help you ;)

Janiz, Oct 25, 2008
  4. rach3

spaceways

Hey everyone

This isn't exactly a problem, but something that is bothering me a bit.

I have a new XP 160GB/1GB DDR2 that I recently removed all of the bloatware from and installed a few programs such as foobar2000 (I'm just using the bare version), The KMPlayer, Firefox 3 with a few addons (AdBlock Plus, Rikaichan, and two compact themes), and Avast...however after installing Firefox (I'm not sure if it was due to Firefox though as I installed most of them around the same time) I noticed that the start up time took much longer as the screen for the Windows XP progress bar at start up took a few seconds to load, and I don't mean the progress bar itself took a few seconds to start moving, but the screen itself took a few seconds as it gradually loaded noticeably slower.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it quite well enough, but is there anything I could do to get the start up a bit faster again?

Thanks!

spaceways, Oct 26, 2008
  5. rach3

Janiz

I gotta admit that if you install antivirus and other heavy programs like firewall it will slow down your computer a bit and thats normal :D

Janiz, Oct 27, 2008
  6. rach3

rach3

Wow! I got rid of McAfee and installed AVG free antivirus software, and I'm flying high now. Pages load super fast. Before, all I had done was get rid of a bunch of items on the start up menu and some of the background services. It helped but this made the difference! Thanks for pointing this out! R-

rach3, Oct 28, 2008
  7. rach3

speedmaster

Everything Janiz said, +1! ;-)

I would run the XP firewall, and ideally be behind a hardware firewall/router. Browse wisely and don't install unnecessary junk, browser toolbars, etc. :D

speedmaster, Oct 28, 2008
  8. rach3

TKD

Dude just whipe it clean and install XP Pro. I did that on my A150 w/ 160GB 1GB RAM and it is freakin fast.
    It shuts down in 8 seconds!!!! and boots up in 20 seconds running XP Pro.
    It's a very capable netbook if you know what you are doing.

TKD

TKD, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question