New user, need help with a few bits and pieces

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Penguins, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Penguins

Penguins

Hi all,

My AA1 arrived this morning and so far I am very impressed with it, particularly the keyboard (I usually hate laptop keyboards). I have done the 'advanced mode' tweak, installed VLC (thanks to the tip in a thread on here; there were missing repositories but the command line stuff to update the fedora-release got the problem sorted) and Firefox 3.

Just now my backspace key (and the same goes for the arrow keys) seems to have changed their behaviour to only delete (or move the cursor) one character at a time when holding the key down, which is a bit of a pain. I'm sure that's a simple fix though.
    [edit: this has fixed itself after a reboot]

I'm also having difficulties getting it to access the shared music folder over my network. It's stored on an XP desktop. I get this from the terminal (I have tried both the admin password for the XP comp and the password of the other user account on there):

Code:
    [user@localhost home]$ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.3/Music NetFolder
    Password: 
    mount error 13 = Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
    [Edit: this is now working, using $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.3/Music NetFolder -o username=*****,password=***** and then running sudo Thunar (the files do not want to show up if you're not running a root file manager)]

[Edit: These issues are now sorted, it's taken me the best part of the day though. I hope this thread will at least help a future searcher save themselves a lot of time and hassle.]

Penguins, Jan 6, 2009
  2. Penguins

Penguins

Additionally, why is it that nothing at all on Linux wants to work first time? Everything I try decides to throw a different error at me, which I then have to Google. Is it too much to expect to be able to follow step by step tutorials without hitting an infinite loop of error code/Google?

Penguins, Jan 6, 2009
  3. Penguins

donec

That is not quite correct as far as making the statement pertain to Linux. Many things work with Linux without having to mess with anything. No OS works with everything or does everything without having to do something special.

donec, Jan 6, 2009
Ask a Question