New to the forum and Aspire.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by bcltoys, Aug 8, 2010.

1. bcltoys

bcltoys

Just got and aspire the only thing I got it for is for online bills and that is it, what are some tips and how do you get all the bloatware off this thing. Thanks for any and all help.

bcltoys, Aug 8, 2010
  2. bcltoys

Swarvey Moderator

Easiest way is to open the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel.

A fresh install of XP will have an empty list. However as you know, OEM's such as Acer will have it filled with other apps. Pretty much everything in the list can be removed except the following:
    * Launch Manager - A program/driver by DriTek that enables the use of the "hot buttons" on your keyboard.
    * Acer ePowerManagement - Needed on some models for other hot button functions such as WiFi
    * ANYTHING that identifies itself as a driver - Eg. Intel Chipset Driver Package
    * Any HD packages such as Realtek or Microsoft HD Audio
    * Windows Updates (if they're shown in the list)

I personally would remove the bundled Norton or MacAffee security packages and substitute your own. This varies from person to person, but if you browse the forums here a bit you'll see MacAfee causes loads of problems.

Swarvey, Aug 9, 2010
  3. bcltoys

Forone

Go to Microsoft Update web site instead of relying on the desktop alerter, as the replacement hardware drivers show up there as "Optional" and likely don't show up on the desktop updater. I'd also use Revo Uninstaller (full advanced) instead of Windows Add/Remove control to uninstall what you don't want, and run CCleaner when you've got the system where you want it. Those will delete registry entries and files/folders the Microsoft utility misses. Then defrag and you're set.

Forone, Aug 9, 2010
Ask a Question