New owner, new member! How to speed up vista, what antivirus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by derangedgoose, Oct 15, 2009.

1. derangedgoose

TrackSmart

Here's what I found about paretologic: http://download.cnet.com/ParetoLogic-Pr ... 12376.html

Seems legit, although I don't know how useful it is.

Avast is genuine anti-virus/spyware program. However, I don't know how well it stacks up against the competition in terms of performance...

TrackSmart, Nov 11, 2009
  2. derangedgoose

TrackSmart

Microsoft has software "activation". So you are able to install W7 on any computer, howeever, you will run into problems if you have it installed on more machines than you have licenses for. Basically, they can't all be "active" at once. You'd have to *uninstall* W7 from one of your machines if you wanted to move it. The consequences of installing on one more machine are that the operating system will go into "reduced functionality mode" after 30 days on the system that it picks up as being unregistered.

It gets more complicated if you have an OEM copy of W7 (a copy that came preinstalled on a new computer). In that case, the license it tied to the hardware on that computer. Windows will give you a warning to call microsoft (or your system will again go into "reduced functionality mode" if it detects that the hardware has changed too much from the original configuration. So if you move the OEM install to a new computer, you will have some explaining to do.

TrackSmart, Nov 11, 2009
  3. derangedgoose

Neji

Neji, Jun 18, 2010
Ask a Question