New model- faster Intel SSD with xp?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by sinc, Jan 1, 2009.

1. sinc

sinc

Hi,

Some of this I already posted but I'm re posting with new info. I want people to see this and don't want it to get buried.

I have two AAOs side by side, both identical hardware wise, one a new model just purchased with xp home and Intel SSD SSDPAMM0008G1, the other purchased as a linux machine with 1gb/8gb, same SSD SSDPAMM0008G1. 2nd machine I changed to xp pro sp3 using post by mmad (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8882).

here are the benchmarks, first the factory installed xp home:

[attachment=0:39zh551x]win.JPG[/attachment:39zh551x]

now the machine converted from linux:

[attachment=1:39zh551x]lin.JPG[/attachment:39zh551x]

The ide controllers are the same and I checked the drivers for the SSDs and for the ide controllers and they are all identical. The bios versions are not the same: older machine which had linux has bios vo.3109, new xp machine has bios vo.3305.

By the way, when I installed xp on the former linux machine I reformatted the whole drive with one partition in fat 32. The xp machine also is fat 32, I checked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure not just by me!!!

sinc, Jan 1, 2009
  2. sinc

sinc

I've been doing more benchmark tests with these two machines and the results vary widely, but the two seem similar now, with best write speeds at around 12 MB/sec. Sorry to mislead anyone. It seems that this SSD writes about 2x as fast as than the SSDPAM0008G1EA and reads a lot faster too, if the reports on that SSD are true.

sinc, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question