New methods being used by criminals ( uk )

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by something back, Sep 20, 2015.

1. something back

something back

New methods being used by criminals ( uk )

I know that this is an unusual topic to post, but for those in the uk it may be of interest,

there are new methods being used by criminals to place a sign maybe in chalk

either on, or near a property, even on lamp posts near a property

I have included a photo that will explain more

Attached Files:

• 112.jpg
      112.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
    something back, Sep 20, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. something back

jamesbonner

I really didn't get what is the point from those marks, the criminals in uk make those marks so the other theifs knows if they can steal this house or not ?

jamesbonner, Sep 21, 2015
  3. something back

something back

The criminals IN THE DAY TIME MAKE THE MARKS BECAUSE THEY KNOW THE AREA.
    and others at night see the signs in order to steal

something back, Sep 21, 2015
  4. something back

IcyBC

Whoa..that is just awful! This is why I don't like disable location on my devices and I don't like putting too much information online either.

I don't understand why people like to Tweet or putting on Facebook where they are and what they are doing all the time, but that is just me!

IcyBC, Sep 22, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  5. something back

Sefie

Thanks a lot for the info, I have some friends in the UK, so I will definitely let them know what is going on. Maybe they have no idea they could be targeted by a band of thieves. Who would ever imagine something as innocent looking as a simple chalk mark could precede losing all your belongings!

Sefie, Sep 24, 2015
  6. something back

Diane Lane

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Diane Lane, Sep 24, 2015
    something back likes this.
  7. something back

something back

What an interesting article

something back, Sep 24, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  8. something back

Diane Lane

@something back Yes, I like the idea of it, and I think it's a nice product, but I'm afraid like so many others, it could be used for nefarious purposes. I posted both your symbols and my article in my neighborhood 'crime watch' group, and someone said she's seen similar symbols in the general area, but not in our neighborhood. I'm always interesting in crime related developments, so feel free to share any you come across.

Diane Lane, Sep 26, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. something back

something back

Yes will do.

I have sent your posted link to our local police dept.

They might as well know about the possibility of the signs being

hidden in the future, and only revealed when wet.

Neighbours and friends advised also

something back, Sep 26, 2015
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. something back

sparkster

I'm in the UK but have never seen anything like this going on. I'm quite security conscious though, so I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this from now on. If I see anything I'll come back to this thread and post about it. Criminals are always looking for new ways of exploiting and targeting people and it's really quite sad how far they are willing to go. If only they were logical enough to put that time and energy into getting a job and working for their money!

sparkster, Sep 27, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  11. something back

Diane Lane

I still need to set my location (even though I'll turn it off on social media, of course) on the new tablet. What I like about having it turned on, is that it will pull up local tweets when I click 'nearby tweets', and that way I can see what's going on in the area. I like to see the business tweets, any specials going on, whether there's news or police activity, etc. The non-professional accounts that have location turned on are always adolescents and young adults, who are obliviously tweeting/posting away, unconcerned about safety. I tracked my nieces down to the house via their tweets, and told my sister about it. I really wish people would pay more attention to safety, but I have to admit, I do sometimes enjoy reading their tweets ;).

Diane Lane, Sep 27, 2015
  12. something back

IcyBC

@Diane Lane the teenagers, young adults and adults who might be addicted to social media hype are just that. They just like to tell others where exactly they are and what they are doing at the moment. I feel very uncomfortable when my children disclosed their where about. I corrected them right away, but if they don't listen, I know that I had done my job.

IcyBC, Sep 28, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  13. something back

Diane Lane

It's good that you're aware of what they're doing. Many parents don't know what their kids are posting, where they are posting it, and how much personal information is given out. I cringe when I see some of what people post, because it not only can give away their physical locations, but can also tell others what their vulnerabilities are, and how to target or groom them for sexual abuse, sexual assault, theft, etc.

Diane Lane, Oct 1, 2015
  14. something back

thess

Well I'm sure they can afford paint to just paint it over. Also, it's so unnecessary and pointless to mark low income housing. I don't know how much I believe this.

thess, Oct 9, 2015
  15. something back

Krissttina Isobe

:oops:I've not seen anything like it here on Oahu. Many gangland spray paint everywhere locally, but it's being combated with community painting over all gang related spray paintings. The community is winning!

Krissttina Isobe, Oct 11, 2015
Ask a Question