Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by al_ngl, Feb 27, 2009.

1. al_ngl

al_ngl

I just ordered my Acer Aspire One 150-1029 RT with Windows XP, Atom N270, 512+512 RAM, and 120GB hard drive, from Newegg. It should be coming tomorrow, along with 1GB of ram for it as well. I got the lot plus a 2 year warranty for just under $400, with free shipping and a 16GB thumb drive (like I need another thumb drive...). I haven't decided to upgrade the storage or the battery yet, as I mainly bought this computer to sustain me for a few months until I build a new desktop when I have money. I was debating buying the Lenovo or HP alternatives, but a helpful employee at staples told me that he has worked on the Lenovo, and it has inferior cooling to the Acers and Asuses. Anyway, I'm interested in possibly doing some modifications, as long as they don't void my warranty. Primarily I want to dual boot XP and OSX. Has anyone here bought their AAO from newegg? If so, what can you tell me about the warranty and what I can do without voiding it? Also, what are some good inexpensive external dvd burners?

al_ngl, Feb 27, 2009
  2. al_ngl

melhiore

Any mod apart from RAM - which was discussed couple of times - will void warranty. Only "solderless touchscreen" does not require soldering to mobo. Rest of the mods involves soldering so it will be visible to any service crew...

melhiore, Feb 27, 2009
  3. al_ngl

al_ngl

Would the Dell wifi card have to be soldered in?

al_ngl, Feb 27, 2009
  4. al_ngl

chuckcalo

No, it's plug and play. You take out the Atheros one and put in the Dell.

chuckcalo, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question